Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Veritas Backup Exec Fails

Veritas Backup Exec Fails

After installing ACT! 2008, my backup jobs fail.  Veritas Backup Exec will not read my harddrives.  If I stop the ServerName\ACT7 SQL Server Service before I start my backup, it completes just fine.  Has anyone else had this problem or know of any fixes?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Veritas Backup Exec Fails

Veritas cannot backup a live ACT! database unless you have the Premium version with the SA Pass Utility.

Another option is to stop the ACT! SQL Services before the backup and start them after the backup

ACT is hostile towards the underlying SQL database, and will remove any SA account it doesn't like. To this end, it disables normal SA operations like BACKUP, you don't need that, do you?  After all, it's just YOUR DATA, how dare you want to act like a System Administrator (SA) for YOUR DATA.

I have little hope these folks will ever get their act together. (no pun intended) 

You can purchase the SA Pass utility from corporate services to do just that.

The other method is something like this... Create an ACT10Backup.bat file in Notepad as follows:

REM - Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate for your system
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act\Database"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END

With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility.

Then run the BAT file from the Windows scheduler

Or, remove the XCOPy parts, split it in two an stop the services at the begining of the backup and restart them at the end

Nickel Elite Contributor

Further if you are using the premium version of the ACT! program you can use the scheduler to backup the ACT! database to a ZIP file on your hard drive and that can be backed up without any problems. The scheduler even dates the backup so you aren't overwriting previous backup files.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Unfortunately, this means that all of the normal SQL backup procedures for OTHER programs that use SQL now break.

It's really unfortunate that the folks who designed ACT seem to think they OWN the whole SQL server, and the data therein. It's OUR data, OUR property.

Extortion shouldn't be a tactic used in modern software product design, but alas, it appears all too often these days. 

I've got my own SA password, it's strange that ACT things it's entitled to change it every time it runs.

It seems rather silly to me that one should be forced to get a utility to ask what it's new value is, when it really shouldn't be allowed to change it in the first place.  

The reaon is that the ACT! database is not designed to be customised or modifie by users like other SQL systems... and the typical ACT! user will end up in a world of support ssues if they try (and they do).

There is an EULA for the SA Pass utility that makes it only valid for backup and reporting.

GLComputing wrote:

The reaon is that the ACT! database is not designed to be customised or modifie by users like other SQL systems... and the typical ACT! user will end up in a world of support ssues if they try (and they do).

There is an EULA for the SA Pass utility that makes it only valid for backup and reporting.

Amen... there are a lot of things ACT wasn't designed to do... I keep finding out more of them all too often.