Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Vcard Import from Email as Attachment

Copper Contributor

New user to ACT Pro v18. Followed instructions below and did not get the popup to merge Vcard into ACT.

What are options to take a vcard attached to an email received and create a contact.

Also did ACT v18 correct not being able to import business address.

This is the instructions I found, which didn't work:

How to Import a vCard into ACT!

Posted On Monday - 15 December 2014

Answer:

1. Save the vCard to your desktop
  2. Drag the vCard and drop it on the ACT! icon on the desktop
  3. Contact Merge Options will display
  4. Choose the appropriate settings
  5. Click OK
  6. Check for new contact within database

Fields Imported:

• First Name
  • Last Name
  • Company
  • Title
  • Website
  • Business Phone
  • Mobile
  • Fax
  • Home Phone
  • Note: Business Address fields and Notes are not populated.
Administrator

Re: Vcard Import from Email as Attachment

[ Edited ]

Hi ark210,

I have followed the steps from this Knowledgebase article you have listed (31443). Dragging a .vcf file onto my Act! icon on the desktop opened the Contact Merge Options window correctly.

explorer_2016-05-05_17-04-20.png

Act!_2016-05-05_16-55-22.png

Try right clicking the .vcf file and selecting Open with > Act!

You could also change the default program to open .vcf files to Act, which would let you add them to your Act contact by just opening the file.

Business address fields in vCards will not be imported into Act! v18.

Copper Contributor

I am using ACT Pro v18 and the ACT icon on my desktop is a "shortcut" icon.  could this be a reason why the merge window does open when

the Vcard saved on the desktop is dragged and dropped on the ACT icon?

What I am noticing is the vcard when dropped on the ACT icon return to the location on the desktop from when it was before dropping on the ACT icon.

Is there any other setting that needs adjusting, because when in ACT and selecting the View email from the toolbar it takes 30 to 50 seconds to open and sometimes it doesn't open.

Thanks for the followup assistance

Employee

[ Edited ]

ark210 wrote:

I am using ACT Pro v18 and the ACT icon on my desktop is a "shortcut" icon.  could this be a reason why the merge window does open when

the Vcard saved on the desktop is dragged and dropped on the ACT icon?

What I am noticing is the vcard when dropped on the ACT icon return to the location on the desktop from when it was before dropping on the ACT icon.

Is there any other setting that needs adjusting, because when in ACT and selecting the View email from the toolbar it takes 30 to 50 seconds to open and sometimes it doesn't open.

Thanks for the followup assistance

Hi ark210,

Is the shortcut a shortcut to the Act program or to your database? When you drag the Vcard to a shortcut of the database, then it will not open it and just return to where it was (see screenshot). If you drag it to a shortcut to the Act program, then the Merge options screen will appear.

vcard.jpg

Copper Contributor

So this is what steps I followed:

Deleted ACT icon on desktop

Went to Program folder and found the ACT.exe program and sent a shortcut to desktop

Dragged saved Vcard on desktop to new ACT shortcut icon on desktop

Merge window opened and followed the prompts

** Did the same for the next Vcard contact and there was no response and the Vcard went back to previous location on desktop***

Thank you for assisting with a solution to this error.

Copper Contributor

Vcard: Please Assist Import from Email as Attachment

I have saved several vcards to the desktop.

After dragging the first Vcard to the ACT icon on desktop,

the ACT merge option opens and the contact is added.

However, when subsequent v cards are added to the ACT desktop Icon,

it does nothing (even thought the contact is not in ACT).  The only way to

add subsequent vCards is to close ACT each time.

What's the right process to add multiple vcards from desktop to ACT.

Thanks for the help.

Administrator

Re: Vcard: Please Assist Import from Email as Attachment

Try right clicking the .vcf file and selecting Open with > Act!
You could also change the default program to open .vcf files to Act, which would let you create them as an Act contact by just opening the file.
Copper Contributor

Importing vCard, which has the "home address fields" as the first address shown when opening the Vcard, does not import the home address into the ACTPro18 Personal address fields.

Is the address fields in Act Pro 18 in the Basic Contact layout 1021 x 768 by default a business field or a personal field?  If ACT Pro 18 does not import business address field how then is other or home address fields imported?

What is a good work around from importing a Vcard from an email into ACT to capture all the completed fields.

Thanks for the assistance.

Administrator

The address information can be imported from a vCard if the format of the vCard matches that detailed in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37650

There are many versions and iterations of vCard formatting that exist. Act does not support some of the more recent formats.
The development and maintenance of the Outlook contact sync feature was prioritised over further vCard development.
If you are creating contacts in Act from Outlook, you might find the contact sync feature easier to work with for your needs.