Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Validation rules

Validation rules

Hi.

We have created a number of custom applications that plug in with our ACT system. As a result of that we require certain data entered into certain fields to meet basic criteria and be validated. For example, we have an application that sends a text message automatically to a customer when the progress of their claim changes. For this we require a Mobile number in the mobile number field. We have seen that our users type in mobile phone numbers in different formats some with spaces, some missing out the initial 0 in the mobile number and some actually putting home numbers in this field. So for this mobile field the basic validation would be that the field has to have 11 charcters, no spaces and start with 07.

Can someone tell me how to implement such validation within ACT so that i can encourage our users to adopt best practices. Unfortunately i do not know much about ACt from the front end as i am mainly a back end developer, and i can't seem to find where such settings would be applied.

Thanks

Hummy

Master Commentator

Re: Validation rules

First thing to do is insure the phone fields have the correct formatting applied to them. Next to any phone field is a small box with an ellipsis. click on it and a window pops up where you can select or edit the frmat for the number. either select or create the right format.

Are these agents of yours who are entering this information incorrectly? Seems like a little friendly retraining is necessary?  You might also consider modifying your layout to include a text box next to the phone fields and write a little reminder there of the proper format.

Another idea might be an addon. look at the tooltips addon at www.exponenciel.com

Thanks for your suggestions. I will check out tooltips software you have suggested. That might be an option.

I'm using ACT 2009 and i can't seem to find the elipsis that you are reffering to, where should i be seeing this. Is it in the layout designer? Could tell me exactly where i should be seeinf this?

I have actually inherited the system and it is being used by about 10 call center staffand the data in fields is not always in the correct format. I have found from my previous experiences that it is better to try and reduce the element of human mistakes and that is why i'd be interested in finding a way of validating fields (by that i specify what people have to type in as it reduces the human factor then).

If you could let me know where i should be seeing the elipses that would be great. 

Thankyou

Master Commentator

IN contact view, right next to any phone field is a small box with a "..." in it.  click on that and a window opens allowing you to format the phone field.

Found it. Thanks.

The problem with leaving it as a phone field is that i cannot limit the number of digits to 11 digits. So while i can define the format 07%%%%%%%%% someone is still able to put in spaces after the 4 digits and type the rst of the number in. 

I've found if i make it a charcter field of 11 characters and define the format as 07%%%%%%%%% then i can just about work around the problem, only that i assume no one will ever put in letters in a mobile number field.

in a character field is there any way i can specify a number as the format. Simply putting %%% indicates either a number or letter but can i specifiy it to be just a number in the field format.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't know if your pugins will ever need to add a phone number programatically... but if they are, there are some issues with older versions of ACT!.

For more info, see my posts in this thread:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=Pub_Dev&thread.id=935