Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

VPN access

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

VPN access

Hello, we are a telecom interconnect company and as a tech, I am frequently out of the office, sometimes even across the state.  I have just finished setting up a VPN for some of us to access our network remotely.  Everything works EXCEPT Act!  Every time I try to access our database on the server (I can see the files in explorer), it keeps telling me "The last database opened cannot be located".  When the open database dialouge appears, and I click on the .pad file, I get: "The database Anavon could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server"

This is a very frustrating problem.  No firewall is running on the server, and I get the same thing whether or not I have the firewall on my computer running (and ACT is listed as an exception in any case).  Can anyone help me with this?  Does a port need to be forwarded in the router?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jordonj
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: VPN access

Just want to make sure that Share Database is enabled from Tools > Database Maintenance and SQL Server Browser service is started on the server.

If all of those are enabled, try the steps below on the server.

- Close ACT!

- Go to Start and select Run.

- Type in actdiag and click Ok.

- Select Database > Database List and highlight your database.

- Then right click > Database Fixes > Datastore Location

- Enabled IP Address, select the correct IP on the right and click Ok

- Attempt to access shared db through VPN.

View solution in original post

All Replies

This error can occur if the client machine cannot properly resolve the name of the computer hosting the database. This can be fixed by editing the .PAD file to indicate the IP address of the computer hosting the database rather than the network name.

You can find the steps in the KB article below under section:

There is a problem on the client machine resolving the name of the computer hosting the database (shared database)

Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check ...

Thank you for your response...

Editing the PAD file got me past the first error and I got the login screen to access the database.  Unfortunately I now get a new error.  It reads: "Cannot find database supplemental files Anavon-database in this location 192.168.10.3 .  This could be a problem with the share, or the folder may not exist.  Please contact the adminstrator of your database.

Now the folder it is in is shared (As it the parent directory) with Everyone having full control of the folder as well as the file.  What could I be missing here?

Solution
Accepted by topic author jordonj
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Just want to make sure that Share Database is enabled from Tools > Database Maintenance and SQL Server Browser service is started on the server.

If all of those are enabled, try the steps below on the server.

- Close ACT!

- Go to Start and select Run.

- Type in actdiag and click Ok.

- Select Database > Database List and highlight your database.

- Then right click > Database Fixes > Datastore Location

- Enabled IP Address, select the correct IP on the right and click Ok

- Attempt to access shared db through VPN.

That fixed the problem!

Thank you very much for your help!

Tuned Listener

Hi,

I've got a question.

I have to install an ACT solution between 2 companies by a VPN ( France head office  - Belgium subsidiary)

Do you think it's more reliable to do it by

- SYNC

- directly with the VPN as you explain below

- or TSE or Citrix.

I like to have your opinion.

Rémi

That depends on the number of users you have.  If it would be one or two users, a VPN may well work.  However, if these are two large offices with several users, I'd probably recommend a point-to-point T1 so that the networks have a dedicated connection.  In our case, the VPN is accessed occasionally to create a work order from my home, or if I am on a job site and need one.  It also allows me to access network resources when and if I need them remotely.

I hope this helps.

Tuned Listener

Thanks.

There are 5 from one side et 5 from this other side.

I'm not sure so far they have a T1 dedicated and i 'will be suprised because it's very expensive.

I already tried Sync for an other customer with ACT10 it works but sometimes not ( i think the broadband is too low).

I already tried (as a trial), TSE. it works very well but not easy with Word and Outlook.

I will be happy of your feed back experience for all the solutions guys, it will help me to make the best choice.

Rémi

Avid Listener

Sorry guys, what does it mean 'TSE'???Smiley Indifferent