Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

V20 Attachment "shortcut to file" no longer available, path may have changed?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

V20 Attachment "shortcut to file" no longer available, path may have changed?

I recently updated act from version 17 to version 20. Updated the program with no issues and no issues with the database so far. But went to one of my clients and tried to open up a shortcut to a document that was set in version 17 and nothing happens. It shows the shortcut there but will not launch the document. In addition I believe that the path under the documents tab has changed to where the database is stored. This is not the original path for the document. As a test I tried to go back and delete the shortcut to document and re-add the shortcut and it still is not working. It does not show the correct path to the shortcut no matter what I try. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: V20 Attachment "shortcut to file" no longer available, path may have changed?

Hello Wizard ,  I do not usually link documents with shortcuts, I like to put the files in the 15 GB free of my GMAIL account and I put the LINK of that document.

Anyway, I did the test, and I see that Act! puts a shortcut file in the attachments folder

...Click on the image to enlarge it

1.png

...Anyway, I realize that in the properties of the attachment - the path of the physical file is correct

2.png

I also see that Act! associate the file with the appropriate program, otherwise there could be a problem opening it

3.png

I know that this probably does not solve the problem, but the real experts on Act! they are going to place other opinions - Luck with this and do not stop making a backup of your database on the hard disk and in a USB memory for more security

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Copper Contributor

Re: V20 Attachment "shortcut to file" no longer available, path may have changed?

"Hello Wizard ,  I do not usually link documents with shortcuts, I like to put the files in the 15 GB free of my GMAIL account and I put the LINK of that document." 

I have done something very similar, the link to the shortcuts was in folder in dropbox, for some reason, the path got changed to windows C directory  where the Act database is stored... I Didn't change a thing and cannot get the shortcuts to change back to the original path....I do not want to store the files in the act database file as this folder is big enough...  and other concerns... 

Employee

Hi Wizard,

When you're attaching something to a record are you using the 'Link' option to point to a URL or the 'Shortcut' option and pointing it to a local file?

I've tested adding a link to a document in MyAirBridge in my database and this doesn't seem to generate anything in the attachments folder but does open to the URL when double clicked.

If you're using the 'shortcut' option, then this will place a shortcut file in the database's attachments folder for Act to reference.

Dan
Copper Contributor

I figured out my problem, I think.. some how the acrobat reader program became corrupt.. .I uninstalled and reinstalled and so far this seem to have fixed the problem. I am still testing.. Not sure how it got corrupted, the only thing I installed was the new update for act!... there was an update also  for acrobat reader, maybe it did not install correctly...The shortcuts seem to be working again...