Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using personal address

Using personal address

How do I default to the personal address when the business address fields are empty? 

I have home addresses for many of my clients and if I click on "Write", then "Letter"  the template contains no address because it only pulls data from the business address fields. 

Is there a way to make a rule that if the business address fields are empty to pull the data from the home address fields?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Using personal address

One option is to create separate label templates that take the address from the home address fields. I have created label templates that allow using a field to designate the preferred mailing address and then when the label is run, it prints the designated preferred mailing address.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you for your reply.  Today is my first day using Act! after years with Outlook.  It is a bit overwhelming.

Will your solution automatically pull the home address into the mailing if the business address is blank?

What if the business address is filled in but I still want the letter to go to the home address?

I guess what I am looking for is a box to check off which designates a particualr address as the peferred mailing address for that contact.

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'm attempting to do the same thing with mailing labels...(have the label print the home address if the company address is empty).  I have Act 2006 and it looks like the only way to do that is by writing a script.  Can anyone help me with that process.  It's for an Avery 5160 label.

To have an automatic switch from the main address to the home address based on the main address being blank is technically possible using scripting but from a practical standpoint, would result in frequent failures. The problem is that the main address would need to be completely blank for it to work, any entry in any of the address fields, for example a city name, would cause the wrong address fields printing. I have created labels and envelope templates where the scripts test a field for the designated preferred mailing address, main or home, and then prints the desired mailing address.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

How would I track down your templates for the labels?  Is that something you've written about in the "Dummies" book?

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129