Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using Sales Process in ACT

Copper Contributor

Using Sales Process in ACT

Since this is the Best Practices section of the forum, I wanted to open the discussion about the types of sales process people use in Act.  I have found that it is possible to use Miller Heiman, Solution Selling, and others including the work of people like Stephen Covey, Brian Tracy and Tony Robbins to focus sales activities.  Here is how I view Sales Process vs. Selling.  Selling is about box moving.  A pair of examples are Blockbuster Video and IBM personal computers.  For years both recorded big sales numbers by selling what they had in stock.  The came the Sales Process companies - Netflix and Dell.  Both know how to customize a product to their customer. It appears that Blockbuster is having a hard time getting traction against Netflix and IBM sold thier PC sales products to Lenovo two years ago. The culture of a company that uses process is so different from the box movers, that the process company gets farther and farther ahead of the competition.  What is the hidden secret of Act is that anyone even a single sales person or a business owner in a small business can become as effective as a company like Netflix or Dell by using process in ACT.

Re: Using Sales Process in ACT

I agree.  I use the system to aid in our company's Sales Process specifically tracking what we know about the target customers so we can build effective sales plans.

I have customized it in the past (opportunities) as I saw fit.

I have also found the software works well in order to track schedules as per 7-habits (Covey) if you are in to that sort of thing.

Copper Contributor

About Covey - would you like to describe how you use Act for doing your Covey things?  I like a co0mbination of Activity series and a field or two.  Do you have any type of report or review system that Act helps you with?
Bronze Contributor

What I think is important is to decide if you have more than one sales process and build these first. These should be based on what you want to report like divisions or product segments.  Then you need to have stages that are the primary touch points for each process and they may be different. While many of the sales schemes describe particular methods these need to represent the business not just a theory.

I have often found less steps is better. It is also important to decide when the opportunity is created and for many businesses it is only after the opportunity is qualified not when they are still only a suspect.

To work out the % for your business you first need to have 100 processes and then continue to refine to know what it is for your business. 

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I am relatively new to ACT but love its flexibility.  I am a bit confused as to how to use it in my sales process because my industry is a bit different.  I do sports and school photography. I have a couple of "tiers" of customers.  My main contacts are board members from sports leagues, they are who make the decision for the photographer.  The people who actually purchase the products never really get entered into my system because it isn't necessary.  

Here is how I am currently doing things. 

Since there are so many leagues and schools out there I do not put them into ACT until I have made contact with them.  This is part of my problem now, I really don't have a good way of keeping track of the list of leagues or schools right now before I actually make contact with them.  I then add them to ACT as a Group.  I track my emails and communication with the prospect or "group" and once they become a customer I covert them to a company.  I have Groups and Subgroups as well as Companies and Divisions.  A group would be "Baseball" and it would have subgroups of different leagues that are prospects.  I do the same thing with Companies and Divisions.  This allows my staff to easily find a league and since different sports are in certain times of the year, they do not have to sift through 100 football leagues during baseball season.

I don't use opportunities because they can't be converted once they become a customer, so I feel like I am having my staff retype everything again.

I am only a few months in, so if I am going to change this, I imagine I should do it now.  I have a feeling that I am not doing this as I should. 

Re: Using Sales Process in ACT for ad agencies

Can some explain how this compares to salesforce.com for making sales within an industry.  I'm manage a 4 person sales and marketing team in the advertising agencies industry, and am wondering if I should consider Act!.
Copper Contributor

Is there any way to track sales commission per when an order is closed?  I would love to track from quote to sales won and or lost and then have it total commission for the month.