Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using Notes to Create Groups when importing Excel Spreadsheet.

Using Notes to Create Groups when importing Excel Spreadsheet.

I have an Excel Spreadsheet with a list of contacts broken out by categories. The Categories are a 5 digit number that is the spedific type of company (Similar to Busines Classifications but a little different)  The contacts can be in mulitple categories so they are listed mulitple times with the difference being the category.

My goal is to import this list into Act, and create groups for the different categories.  So I am able to import the unique Groups, and Import the contacts, but I am not able to associate the contacts with the groups where the contacts can be in multiple groups.

My thought is during the import of the contacts, I create a note with the category each time the contact is listed in the Excel spreadsheet. From having these notes I have a 1 to many contact to category information, I would like to create a list based on the contact having a note for a specific category and then add that list of contacts to the Group. 

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Using Notes to Create Groups when importing Excel Spreadsheet.

You can assign to Groups based on Notes.

If it's important, there is an add-on, itImport, that can associate contacts to multiple groups based on fields in your import.
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1