Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using Crystal Reports 2008

Accepted Solution Solved
Master Commentator
Accepted Solution

Using Crystal Reports 2008

Hello,

I know that ACT 2010 supports using Crystal Reports. What I don't know is whether or not ACT has to be installed on the same computer as Crystal Reports or if you can just have the act.dbf file on the computer. I need to have some reports created and I know that the person does not have ACT installed.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author training2go
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Using Crystal Reports 2008

The ACT OLE DB provider is installed as part of the ACT! installation, so yes, ACT! must be installed on the same computer, unless someone knows a way to install just the OLE DB provider - but I've never seen any mention of that.
Signature

View solution in original post

All Replies
Master Commentator

Hello,

In another attempt to find the answer to my original question, I tried to follow the steps on this link

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&message.id=27399&query.id=614988#M27399

in step 3, I do not see the ACT! OLE DB Provider for reporting option, so I could not go any further.

I have Crystal Reports 2008 installed on this computer, but I do not have ACT! 2010 installed. Is that the problem or is it something else?

I ask because none of the instructions stated that ACT! 2010 has to be installed in order to connect to an ACT! 2010 database.

I then came across this link, but the instructions are only for connecting to an act database via Excel, which is not what I need to do.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2518...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Solution
Accepted by topic author training2go
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

The ACT OLE DB provider is installed as part of the ACT! installation, so yes, ACT! must be installed on the same computer, unless someone knows a way to install just the OLE DB provider - but I've never seen any mention of that.
Signature
Master Commentator

Hi Chieff,

Oh boy, I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

Thank you for letting me know that ACT! does have to be installed.

Bronze Contributor

There may be another way around this.  Sage offers two optional SQL accounts/passwords:

actreader login provides read-only access for such purposes as reporting - with it, you report against the actual tables and views, not through OLE DB.  I'm not positive, but I believe it is low cost or maybe even free for the latest versions of ACT! Premium and Corporate (2010, maybe 2009). (not the standard office supply store version)  (North America only)

sa login providers everything you would expect from sa.  I believe it's still a purchase unless you have purchased some number of corporate licenses (20? 25?).  But the point is you don't need the sa password for what you're doing (sa password is often necessary for backing up the ACT! SQL database directly,  using a commercial backup program. (North America only)

If you search these boards for actreader, you'll see references and kb articles and documentation.

Signature
Master Commentator

Hi Chieff,

I think I've heard of the reader. I will look into it for the future. Being who I am, I am going to try and create some of the reports myself.

While I was trying to learn about the table structure, I came across the table that has a list and description of all of the other tables. I'm not sure why all of the ID type tables are there, as it seems that those fields should be in the regular tables.

I think that now that Crystal will work easier with ACT!, that there should be a forum here just for Crystal related Act questions because the Crystal Reports forums do not have people that spend any time with Act, if that makes sense.

I thank you for your help. Say tuned, I am sure that I will have several how do I in crystal questions comin up in the next month or so.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACTREADER is now free (since ACT! 2009 was released) ... but only for Premium versions of ACT! - all Premium, back to ACT! 2005

The SA Pass is free in Europe ... different rules and prices for other regions.

You might find this helpful (includes link for the ACTREADER):

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/04/getting-table-structure-and-links-from.html

You might also find Crystal Clear Essentials from http://www.adsprogramming.com/products.htm to be a good start

Master Commentator

Hi Mike,

I only have the regular version of act, not the premium, so i'm out of luck there.

The Crystal Clear option seems to be several caned (no offense to that company) reports. I want to be able to create reports on my own.

thank you

Platinum Elite Contributor

Crystal Clear comes with some canned reports that make it easier to get started... those reports can be customised ot you can create your own.

You can also get the CCR Provider (at the bottom of their page) which doesn't include their set of pre-designed reports.