Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using Conditional Ifs With Mail Merge

Copper Contributor

Using Conditional Ifs With Mail Merge

I apolize if this issue has already been addressed but I was unable to locate a solution in this forum.

I have been trying to use the instructions found in http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/04/using-conditional-controls-in-act.html to create a conditional IF statement for use with mail merge but have been unsuccessful.

I am trying to use sal2 field if it is not null otherwise the first name is to be used.  I am using ACT! for Financial Professionals v11.

Below is the code within the ADT template:

<Contact>

<Address 1> <Address 2>

<City>, <State> <ZIP Code>

Dear { IF "{DOCVARIABLE[ACTFIELD]CUST_CustomTable7_105622.CUST_sal2_105803109 \* MERGEFORMAT }"<> "" "{DOCVARIABLE[ACTFIELD]CUST_CustomTable7_105622.CUST_sal2_105803109 \*MERGEFORMAT }""{ DOCVARIABLE[ACTFIELD]TBL_CONTACT.FIRSTNAME \* MERGEFORMAT }"},

I have tried it various ways without success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps if there is an actual Word template that is available to use to see if perhaps I have spaces incorrect or something?

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Using Conditional Ifs With Mail Merge

I agree I to have been looking for any instructions on how to create more custom layouts editing field codes. Take an ACT! Date field which its format is 1/11/2010 and have it mail merge into a letter as January 11, 2010. I've tried this string may ways I get erither this field or and error in the merged letter field spot <Quote Issued Date> 

{ DOCVARIABLE [ACTFIELD] TBL_CONTACT.CUST_QuoteIssuedDate_094751078 \@"MMMM, d, yyyy"}

I ran into this don't know if helps you as I keep digging for my need but the section at bottom is close but noty working.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051862271033.aspx

I hope we get answers or directions

JM

Did you ever get this resolved...I am trying to create a simple salutation where if the contact name is not present I just want to add "Owner"....I can get the name to show up via the conditional statement but not the "Owner" or I can get "Owner"but not the name..depending on what the field is populated with..?

Thanks,

Michael

Copper Contributor

No, still no solution.

JM
Nickel Contributor

After a few emails with Mike I learned the standard ACT mail merge can not handle "IF Statements", that is why you need to use Advanced Mail Merge an ACT add-in 3rd party solution.

Pricing on his web site but I did not buy it yet because I was looking into for when we start needing it and for a friend.

This will do more than just your Dear "Salutation name".

IF's can even allow you to come up with a custom mail merge letter that will insert specific long text in to the letter based on an ACT records field value.

Example using Advanced Mailer Merge if I have a field called Mailer Codes and the value is 025 than insert a specific string.

Look something like this:

{IF "<CONTACT Customer Type Code>"="V" ""long, long, text""\* MERGEFORMAT}

Microsoft Word accepts a lot of text in the merge fields.  You can have lots of text."

Mike Fortier
Fortier Consulting, LLC

ACT! Customizations, Training, and Support

mike@fortierconsulting.com
www.fortierconsulting.com

NH: 603-330-0583
ME: 207-221-5657

FAX: 501-694-7699

I hope this helps,

JM

Copper Contributor

Thank you for the reply, however my employer will not purchase a third party solution.  So for my situation, there is no solution.   Again thank you for your reply.

JM
Nickel Contributor

I can understand the concern about using 3rd party programs from an independent small developer that could go away.  The flip side after waiting on Sage for ACT for 4 years they will take for ever or just not do the little things to increase productivity. You have entered in to CRM which means that is part of the business not everything will come from the Core Company.

Which is why I have purchased things from Exponenciel.com, Adscomputer.com, Durkincomputing.com because what I spent and used in the first year even if just one user license paid off and I did not have to spend $1000's to have an ACT developer make a custom tool.  Also ACT developer group is so big if one goes away there are others out there.

My point is I trust the above guys enough that the $50-$300 one lic. costs  to kick out effeciently a custom mail merge, Import at field level, or fix history records to reduce DB size you will look good for it.

JM