Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT on multiple laptops away from the main server

Using ACT on multiple laptops away from the main server

I have ACT on my main computer in my office, but a couple co-workers and I travel around constantly. How do we get ACT usuable on all our laptops? I cant get online and need to know how to access the ACT database even though I cant get onto a server. Is there any way of doing it without using a disk? Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Jeff
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Using ACT on multiple laptops away from the main server

You would need to set up sync and use remote databases for the laptop.  Have a look in the act documentation on your cd for how to set up sync as it is too big a topic to explain in detail here.

HTH

Tom
Platinum Elite Contributor

Jeff,

Have a read of this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base to set up sync - http://tinyurl.com/24tvb2

If you want to sync while out of the office and don't have VPN, you can try this https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp
Nickel Super Contributor

You can also use thier Hamachi product to create a VPN free of charge https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

Tom Davis
Rowcol Solutions

I see... basic version is free.

Probably only need Premium if you want it running as a service
Nickel Super Contributor

Excatly, the free one you can fire up just before a sync or have run at windows startup, it just runs down by the system tray instead of in the background.

Tom

Thanks Tom. You've used it? reliable?

I've heard some good things, and will probably do some testing before recommedning it as part of an SOE for smalls sites who want sync but don't want to set up a secure server on the 'net.

How does it work with multiple concurrent sync users?

PS: If you speak to Alan Denison (a client of yours I think), tell him I said hi :-)
Nickel Super Contributor

Yeah, we use it for all our smaller clients who don't have a VPN configured.  Concurrent users no problem - its easisest to understand if you have a look at it but basically you create a network initally and then join users to the network so you are all essentialy on a LAN together.  You can even use it for file sharing between machines and chat etc.  We have been using it for about 2-3 years (since before Log Me In bought it) and I can only remeber one major disruption when it went down for a day.  Premium users were up in about half that time but the free users had to wait longer.

Alan Dension - what a classic, what more can you say Smiley Happy - he was singing your praises yesterday on the phone Smiley Happy

Tom

I'll have to have a play with their VPN and will let you know if I find any issues...

Yeah, I've been doing on-line support for ACT! since Symantec started the CompuServe forums many years ago and still do most of the replies on about a dozen forums including one than Alan is a member of. I always recommend ACCs once an issue goes beyond simple posts and he asked about UK ACCs and your company. I told him that I hadn't seen your work but had read quite a few of your posts and that you're should be good investment for him to make :-)

I don't know many of the UK ACCs now and they don't seem to have a public list on the web. If they do, can you post the URL?

I've dealt with Paul King for many years, but he's kinda left the ACT! fold now (as you'd know)... so, I guess we might chat off-line and see if we can benefit each other?

Drop me a PM here or email me if you're interested.