Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT on a remote server

Using ACT on a remote server

We have our ACT database on  a remote server, and currently we have two users. I am the main user and the database resides in the my documents file on my remote access. The remote administrator has set up my other user to access the data by going to a *.PAD file. This makes my other user log in to a database on her computer and then use log in by going to the *.PAD file. I tried to follow the ACT help instructions by going to Tools, Preferences, start up tab and using the *.PAD file, but it won't accept it.

i'm not even sure If I am explaining this well but I am a little stuck. It's not a major deal but I am expecting to have several people on ACT and it's just a little annoying for them all to have to log on and then change databases everytime they want to use ACT.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Using ACT on a remote server

A few more questions - 

1. what do you mean remote server - remote like in another room accessible over the LAN, or remote as in LogMeIn over VPN?

2. if over a LAN, just copy the pad file to any computer that needs to login - is that what you did?

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Remote server is terminal server/Citrix. We log in from several different home offices.

We can get to the files by logging in and bring ACT up. ACT comes up in a default database which exists on the users remote/Citrix desktop. Then they have to open the *.PAD file which takes us to our main ACT database. This works but we would like it to go directly to the main ACT database

Nickel Elite Contributor

Did you try to copying of the PAD file from the server to the remote user's machines? You can just click on the pad file an that should open up ACT!, along with the database defined in the pad file, you don't need to open ACT! first. (FYI - the pad file, in case you did not know, is just an XML file - open it and ensure it's pointing to the server, along with the correct db name).

Let us know what happens...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Tuned Listener

In our terminal server/Citrix environment we call the pad file as a startup parameter - this defaults to the correct database without users having to select.

example shortcut: "c:\program files\act\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe"  \\act\actdb\act.pad