Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT! on Mac- what you need to know

Using ACT! on Mac- what you need to know

I'm happy to report I have my ACT! with your A4A overlay running on two Mac computers via Parallels (version 7) on a Windows 7 virtual PC.  We have a wired/wireless office network running through an Apple Time Capsule, the main Advisor database resides on my MacBook Pro with the remote database on my assistant's iMac.  I chose this as I am the main database admin and that makes her do all the sync activities. We also use CompanionLink to connect ACT! to our corporate Outlook exchange as it adds the contact name to appointments subject line. This is crucial!!
Hopefully this next part will save someone else a ton of time/money:
1) In Parallels, one must go to Virtual Machine> Configuration> Network > and change the settings to "Shared Network" and chose the "Default Adapter".  This allows the Windows virtual PC to have its own "Direct" network IP address so that synchronization will work.  (I spent 5 hours figuring this out!!)
2) Windows firewall ports need to be opened (pretty standard- 65100, 1433,1434, allow ACT! program to pass through)
3)If using CompanionLink- Disable two way calendar sync on first sync.  (Birthdays will fill the Outlook calendar and create recurring events in ACT!- major pain)  After sync- go to outlook and search by the word birthday and delete all calendar events containing it.  Then allow two way sync on the CompanionLink software and you will not end up with 22,810 alarms for 580 recurring tasks that must be manually deleted one by one.
4) Should you create 22,800 alarms by accident- contact ACT!.  They have a utility called "Alarm Cleaner" they can run to zap the alarms.  (The tasks you must do manually)
5)Lastly, ACT! has an .exe file they put in my Windows Start Menu that opens the SQL Server upon starting windows...  It takes about 30 seconds to run but does the trick.
I hope this saves someone a ton of headache...
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Using ACT! on Mac- what you need to know

Hello Esabo2,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Thank you for the information, I'm sure it will be found useful!
Greg Martin
Sage