Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT as a workflow

Copper Contributor

Using ACT as a workflow

Just wondering if there's a book out there to give ACT clients suggestions on adapting ACT for their particular processes. I'm not talking about how to customise fields or templates, or any type of add-ons, but on using the particular options already built-in for particular procedures in a business.

For example, a common, simple issue is whether to set up a group called Hot Clients, or enter 'hot client' into the Status/ID field to then search on and create a lookup of hot clients. Another example is when creating a 'waiting list' for those looking to buy a product, is it best to use a group or to enter a sales opportunity to lookup. Another example is creating followup reminders - there are so many options, such as a contact field (e.g., 'Proposal Sent' in the status field), or a to-do, or a group, or a sales opp.

So, is there a publication out there that can give different examples of the best ACT features/options to use for different stages of the particular sales/marketing process?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Using ACT as a workflow

I haven't seen any such book... probably because people are so different in how they want it set up

If you enter the data in the ID/Status, then you can set up a group membership rule to autmatically populate the Group

It seems to me you are asking how to interface the functionalities of ACT with "best practices".  I have been stymied a bit as well in coming up with "best practices" in the sales process to begin with (starting with the goal in mind), and then utilizing ACT to support those "best practices".  I'm not talking about Selling 101, but the next level of "best practices".  If anyone has ideas on that, that would make an interesting discussion...what are the "best practices" in selling?  and marketing?

So far I have taken the opportunities tab and created my own sales process in that.  But it is still a hassle because calls can come in quickly in my business (machinery that automates hard copy mail preparation) and to document all that happens is a pain.  Maybe that is one of the questions too...how much documentation is required for 'best practices" in your business endeavor?

-Jon Stevens

Copper Contributor

Workflow as you describe is definitely a sales "best practices" methodology.  The answer to this depends on your sales methodology being applied.  I would start by searching Amazon or even Google for:  SPIN Selling, Target Account Selling, Holden Valubase or Powerbase Selling, SPI Solution Selling, etc.  These are sales methodologies.

There is a feature of Maximizer software (competitor to ACT!) that I really like and wish ACT! would add - it is a workflow engine of sorts.

You can create a workflow as part of your sale process (sales stages) and as you progress through the different sales stages, you can create a set of tasks or events that are triggered to that stage.  For example, if an opportunity is in Stage 1 (Qualification) I have a set of questions I ask a prospect to qualify an opportunity.  Once I have answers to these questions, etc. I can move it to Stage 2.  Another trigger might be to track or monitor how long an opportunity sits in a particular stage.  This is a big issue.  At the various stages of the sales process, I want to be able to define a workflow that states an opportunity can only sit in Stage 1, for example, for one week.  If that one week time expires, I want to have a task reminder to complete the qualification questionnaire with this prospect.  If it sits in a stage too long, I want to create a decision process that says either complete the task(s) to move it to the next stage or change the opportunity from active to inactive.  Maybe a future upgrade/feature of ACT! or one of its partners?

Finally, I want to have the Opportunities component of ACT! allow me to enter in what my quota is and be able to track/calculate margin on a deal.  As I look at the Dashboard it is not only important to see my activity, but also my performance relative to my target/quota.

Tuned Listener

Workflow, such as described by raa29642 below, can be accomplished using SAM from NorthWoods.  (SAM = Sales Automation Mania).

SAM allows you to set up a process and will wait until notified a stage is complete before moving on. 

Repsectfully,

Charles "Carl" Volz
904-278-6235
volzconsulting@bellsouth.net
Platinum Elite Contributor

raa29642 wrote:

Finally, I want to have the Opportunities component of ACT! allow me to enter in what my quota is and be able to track/calculate margin on a deal.  As I look at the Dashboard it is not only important to see my activity, but also my performance relative to my target/quota.

There is an Opportunity widget in the dashboard that does allow this... although it is a bit basic.