Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using ACT (9.0) on my desktop and portable

Using ACT (9.0) on my desktop and portable

I know I can install my single user ACT on both a desktop and a portable if I am the only user (which I am).  What is the easiest way to synch the databases between the two computers when I travel?--backup to and restore from a portable hard disk does not work.
Silver Contributor

Re: Using ACT (9.0) on my desktop and portable

Backup and restore to a hard drive with "New" ACT is really a bad idea. too many chances to mess it up.  Mainly becaue the ACT database is tied to the computer name. Sync in ACT 2010 is reliable and the simplest way.

The simplest thing to try would be to set up Application sync.This would allow you to sync easily when both computers are connected to a simple peer to peer network.

How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you, I'll try it.  But it sure is complicated for what should be such a simple task.  I've been an ACT user for over ten years and from my perspective, the product has gotten worse and not better.
Silver Contributor

With all due respect, this works so much better, the old way didn't respect deleted contacts, security was impossible, not everything synched.  This takes less than 10 minutes to setup and is nearly bulletproof.

I use ACT in my business every single day. There is NO WAY I would go back.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

If your two machines are not networked together, then you can sync through the Internet using a simple VPN, like Hamachi (it's free). See the following Knowledgebase article for instructions:

How To Setup LogMeIn® Hamachi® VPN For Remote Synchronization With ACT! by Sage

Synchronization is a far more efficient and reliable method to coordinate data between two machines rather than using backups.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.