Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User suddenly cannot access networked ACT! database.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

User suddenly cannot access networked ACT! database.

We have an ACT! database on one machine here (ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1) with two people accessing it, one from that machine and another through the network.

We come in on Friday and the person accessing across the network can no longer access the database, instead they get the error message "cannot find dbase supplimental files folder ...... could be a problem with the share or the files may not exist, please contact the admin of your database"..

The first user on whose machine the database is, can still access the database.

The second user on the remote machine cannot access the database but they can see the files, including the .pad file through the network but double clicking the .pad file in its network location does not result in a clean start of act, it still fails.

We don't think anything has changed since before when the dbase was working for the remote user and now that it is not.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: User suddenly cannot access networked ACT! database.

[ Edited ]

Hi there Greg,

Thanks for that, yes for some reason the hosts database did not have the shared database clicked.  I have no idea how that could have happenned because we were both using act without problems all last week.

Anyhow, thank you Greg, that seems to have resolved it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

The first thing to check will be on the host machine - open the database and go to Tools > Database Maintenance > Share Database.  Is it checked?  If not, click on it to enable sharing.  If it is checked already, try clicking on it (to disable) > close and reopen the database > click on Share Database (to re-enable).  Check access.

If that does not resolve your issue, visit this article for other steps to attempt:

Cannot locate database supplemental files: KB Article 19876

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi there Greg,

Thanks for that, yes for some reason the hosts database did not have the shared database clicked.  I have no idea how that could have happenned because we were both using act without problems all last week.

Anyhow, thank you Greg, that seems to have resolved it.

I have a followup question on this.

I have the exact same problem as the above user.

But when I go to Tools -> Database Maintenance I cannot click on share.

It is greyed out.

I purchased licences for 5 users and have been using it for a long time. It suddenly stopped working.

I appreciate any comment. Thank you.