Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User security concern (ability to save contacts to Excel)

Copper Contributor

User security concern (ability to save contacts to Excel)

[ Edited ]

We have all of our salespeople setup as STANDARD security users (as recommended by ACT help files).  STANDARD users cannot save a database in its native ACT! format, which is great, however they can very easily lookup all records in our database and export them to an Excel spreadsheet in the List View screen.  If I lose a salesperson to a competitor, he can walk away with 20 years of my contacts in a matter of seconds.  Sure, they don't get all the history, but all they need/want are names.   If I change them to RESTRICTED users then they lose some very common tasks such as ability to add contacts to a group, which we use daily - so that is not a good option.  Am I missing a setting or something?  I assume the answer is we are supposed to upgrade to ACT! Premium, but this just seems like a major oversight.   I would think most business owners/managers would be scared to death knowing their employees can so easily make a copy of their contacts.  Again, am I missing something here?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: User security concern (ability to save contacts to Excel)

Hi precisemc

You can disable the Export to Excel and Delete Records for Standard Users in the Manage Users Wizard.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Hi David:  Thanks for the reply.  I don't see that option in the Manager Users area (we use ACT! Pro V16).  Under Add Permissions, all users have Manage Sync Subscription List (which doesn't seem to be able to be disabled), then the only other available permissions are Accounting Link Tasks, Handheld Device Sync and Remote Administration.  Can you give me a little direction.  Much thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

Mike:  Yes, I was finally able to confirm with tech support that this is a Premium-only feature.  Thanks for your reply.