Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User field 7 is not sorting

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

User field 7 is not sorting

HELP !  I had a computer crash and restored my database from an external source, reloaded ACT 2010, Version 12.0.409.0 and tried to sort on User field 7, but I am not getting the original sort that I was using.  I had to rebuild the user fields with name and insert the data, but it looks the same as before. I am using Windows 7.  The field is a combination of 5 zipcode numbers, followed by 6 alphanumeric.  The field is defined as character.  It is consistent with the sort result, but they are not in numeric order.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bancline
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: User field 7 is not sorting

Mike, Roy thanks for the help.  I finally figured it out however.  During the define field routine, I defined one field as the other and was actually sorting on the wrong field.  I realized it when I went into design layouts and saw the field labels were criss-crossed. It took several re-design label changes to get the names correctly identified with the field and now they all sort as they should. Thanks again for provoking the mind toggle switch.  Bancline

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't think a Char field would sort numerically. EG:
Numerically, 9 is before 10 - but Char sort looks at the first char and 10 is before 9

I would also update to 12.1 +HF5 as per these ACT! Knowledge Base articles -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25927 - apply SP1 first

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25996 - then HF5 for SP1

If sharing a database, all users need to update.

Then, you should set up the Scheduler to automatically create backups for you

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/automating-backups-for-act-by-sage.html

Actually Mike USA ZIPcodes (postcodes) in a character field will appear to sort numerically because most time they are 5-characters long and they include leading zeros. The problem comes in if you add in postcodes from other countries or mix in some addresses with the longer  nnnnn-nnnn format ZIP codes.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Oh ... so maybe do the updates I suggested and then run maintenance to reindex?

Your suggestions were as good an any. The original posting was somewhat ambiguous. For example, what were the differences in the sort.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks to both of you for the fast response.  I will def update.  What is happening for example is a zip code and char added to it might look like 3423219g123. That record is in position1 and sorts in front of a record with just 100 in the same field.  Out of a list of 85 contacts, the record with 100 in it falls into place 83. Then following that record is 3423220j133, followed by 3423219h177. The last six char positions are not sorting.  If it was only the 4 records, they should be 100, 343219g123, 3423219h177, and lastly 3423220j133.   I am at wits end and thinking maybe the file got corrupted some way. Thanks. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author bancline
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Mike, Roy thanks for the help.  I finally figured it out however.  During the define field routine, I defined one field as the other and was actually sorting on the wrong field.  I realized it when I went into design layouts and saw the field labels were criss-crossed. It took several re-design label changes to get the names correctly identified with the field and now they all sort as they should. Thanks again for provoking the mind toggle switch.  Bancline