Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User comparison to older version

jot

User comparison to older version

I had been an ACT! user since version 1.0. I kept upgrading all the way to ACT!2005, which I felt was a poor product in comparison. I tried ACT!2007, found it way too slow. Since then I have used another product. I would like to get back to ACT! but I just can't see dealing with the speed issue. How do the current users of ACT!2009 find its speed especially compared to ACT!2005?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: User comparison to older version

It's faster but it is the same basic platform. I've never had speed problems with ACT! 2005 and later and I find that most speed problems can be traced to system hardware and system configuration. In all cases you want at least a 7200 RPM hard drive and with XP 1 gig RAM, and for Vista 2 gig RAM. I've also found that the older AMD processors had problems with the .NET Framework.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: User comparison to older version

As long as you are using a system that meets or exceeds Sage's recommended system requirements - especially having 1-2gb of RAM - and you are being realistic about how many other programs/services you are running at the same time, the current version of Act! performs well. 

All things being equal, Act! 2009 will perform significantly better than Act! 2005 did.

Act! 2005 was really a 1.0 release, with each version since, Sage has worked hard to continue to optimize the performance and it shows.

The other thing to keep in mind is the database size.  If you have 150,000 contacts, that is going to have an impact on performance as compared, to say a 1500 contact database.