Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User Name and Password Cannot Be Authenticated

User Name and Password Cannot Be Authenticated

Hello. I thought maybe Tech Support could have quickly answered my problem but they told me to join this Community forum. Here is my problem: I have ACT! by Sage 2010 and I tried to log into my database earlier today. Now, I had no problems getting into my database yesterday. Today, however, when put in my password (b/c my username is already inserted) the system prompt pops up saying "Could not authenticate user. Verify the user name and password, and try again." Now what?
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: User Name and Password Cannot Be Authenticated

Hello NLandholt,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Have you been able to resolve your issue?

If not:

- Are you the only user of this database? 

- Ensure you are opening the correct database - on the username/password screen the database name will be displayed in the title bar 'Log on to *databasename*'. 

- Are you able to open the Demo database (shouldn't prompt for username, but if it does: username - 'Chris Huffman', there is no password).

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

No one has contacted me to resolve my problem.

I am the only user of that database.

I tried to call Chris Huffman and got a fast busy signal.

I tried to email Chris and the email bounced.

What should I do now?

Platinum Elite Contributor

There is no Chris Huffman. that's a made up name for the demo database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Okay...fine. Greg Martin sent me the information. It led me to believe "Chris Huffman" could help me access my ACT! database with over a 1,000 customer entries that I have not been able to access going on a week now.

Can anyone help me solve my problem?

Platinum Super Contributor

Opening the demo database shows that the installation is good, at this point the focus is on your database.  Use the ACTDiag utility to determine the 'Status' of the database:

- click Windows Start
   Select Run if XP

Use Search field if Vista/Windows 7

- enter command 'actdiag', press Enter

- Click Databases > Database List

- Check Status of your database

If 'Online' - it would appear the username and/or password being entered are incorrect.

If other than 'Online', do you have a backup you can restore (using 'Restore As' option)?

Another option would be to copy the database files, rename them, attempt to open the new copy.  Here is an article with instructions for moving a database - use these instructions, but rename the files after they are copied (ex: add 'new' to the beginning of each file name).  Once copied, attempt to open with the rename ADF file.    KB Article 23392

If you are still unable to open the database, you may want to contact Technical Support for further assistance with resetting the username/password.  Here is an article with further instructions (and a possible way to determine the username): KB Article 14150.

Greg Martin
Sage