Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User Field usage

User Field usage

Good day.  I recently purchased version 9 to replace my old version 6.  I was quite comfortable with version 6, but realize that I must now move on.  My main purpose for using ACT is to support the actions of my volunteer fire department.  In version 6 I was able to create over 1000 user fields (yes, 1000) to track various activites, classes, awards, and statistics of the firefighters.  In version 6, if a firefighter took a class a second time, I had to flag that user field to Generate History so that the statistics of the first class would be loaded into History and not be lost when the newest date was entered in that field.  I'm not comfortable yet with the theory of the relational database structure of version 9 versus the flat-file database structure of version 6.  I have it in the back of my mind that a relational database should allow me to enter class attendance any number of times for a given contact and hold each entry as if it were a table.  Is this correct, or must I treat the field the same way as in version 6?  I've been told that there are third-party vendors who support the table functions as I have described.  If so, who are they?  Thanks in advance for any help.