Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Use layout from another database?

Use layout from another database?

I want to use a layout with one database that was built in another database. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I am using ACT Pro 2011. The only info I can find tells me to go to the Detail view and select the layout from the dropdown, but it isn't listed when I am in another database.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Use layout from another database?

You have to copy the layout from the layout folder of the one database to the other. However unless the second database isn't a clone of the first, the layout may not be fully functional.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Elite Contributor

Every ACT! database has what's called a "supplemental files" folder, and is *usually* located alongside the ADF and ALF files.  For example, my database is in: C:\Users\Owner\Documents\rbrDataSolutions\ACT - and has 3 files:

rbrDataSolutions.pad

rbrDataSolutions.ADF

rbrDataSolutions.ALF

There's a folder in that directory called rbrDataSolutions-database files - this is the supplemental files folder, and where you want to go. In that folder, look for a subdirectory called Layouts, and copy the file you want (i.e. the "layout") to a similar directory for the other database.

However, as Roy said, if the other database does not have all the fields, you'll end up the empty field boxes.  But, you can edit the layout in the new database easily, adding or deleting fields as needed.

Hope this helps... 

Richard Brust
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Thank you. That worked, but I have added a few fields in the main screen and the labels show up but not the actual field for data entry. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Either the fields don't exist in the database or they were created separately in the database you're working with. If they were previously added to the database you'll need to edit the layout an attach the database field to the layout field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Understood. Thank you!