Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Urgent help needed! Trying to fix corrupted DB, coming up with error "Unable to cast object of type 'system.DBNull' to type 'SystemString'."

Urgent help needed! Trying to fix corrupted DB, coming up with error "Unable to cast object of type 'system.DBNull' to type 'SystemString'."

[ Edited ]

I'm running ACT!Pro on Windows 8 machine. Trying to recover a vital database that somehow got corrupted. Have been following this post:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17715

and at step 6 in the 2nd section, when trying to Delete Database within the ACT! Diagnostics menu, I get the above error message and I cannot delete the troubled database.

What do I do?

Thanks

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Urgent help needed! Trying to fix corrupted DB, coming up with error "Unable to cast object of type 'system.DBNull' to type 'SystemString'.&q

Have you tried this KB: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27879/kw/27879

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Urgent help needed! Trying to fix corrupted DB, coming up with error "Unable to cast object of type 'system.DBNull' to type 'SystemString'.&a

Or perhaps this: http://community.act.com/t5/Act/Purge-Database-from-Act-Diag/td-p/235195

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Re: Urgent help needed! Trying to fix corrupted DB, coming up with error "Unable to cast object of type 'system.DBNull' to type 'SystemString'.&a

Admittedly, I'm a novice, but that article deals with another error message: 

• You are attempting to customize columns (add, remove, resize) in a list or tab view and receive the error "Unable to cast object of type 'Act.Shared.Windows.Forms.FacadeBoolPropertyDescriptor' to type 'Act.Framework.MutableEntities.MutableEntityFieldDescriptor'.

I was not attempting to customize columns, just delete a file that was labeled "suspect"...  Going in to change the preferences when I'm in the middle of trying to solve another problem of  "Suspect" database seems like a can of worms, no?  I'll try the other solution. It seems more applicable.  Thanks!

Silver Super Contributor

Try detaching the file instead of deleting it and see if that works.  That basically tells SQL to release it.  Then you can delete it from Windows Explorer.  A "suspect" file can usually be recovered though so if you don't have a recent backup I wouldn't delete the database.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

How do I detach it?  From with the Run command actdiag, I can see the DB name listed there, but it's listed now as "Recovery Pending" (it used to say SUSPECT)... when I highlight that line and try to access the commands, that's when I get the error message referenced in the subject line.

I tried stopping SQL Server (ACT 7) within Services as answer 17715 tells me, but I still can't seem to do anything to the file.