Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading to V19

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Upgrading to V19

[ Edited ]

I just tried to upgrade from V18 to V19 today.  Things seemed to work but when I open ACT! and go to help about ACT it lists V18.05 instead of the latest upgrade.

Can anyone suggest what may have happened?  Can I download again?  Any tricks or tips?  When I look in Program Files I see some new ACT! files, but only the old ACT executable file for V18.

Thanks,

Dave R

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author daverose
‎06-18-2017 09:28 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: Upgrading to V19

Hello there,

You might have to reinstall v19, after removing v18 completely as follows.

1. uninstall v18 from the control panel's program and features

2. open run and go to %appdata%. rename the act folder to act.old

3. open run and go to %programdata%. rename the act folder to act.old

4. go to C: drive and open program files(x86), if you're using a 64 bit machine. rename the act folder to act.old.

Steps 2 to 4 might prompt confirmations and sometimes might show as folder is in use. On such cases, open task manager and end any task related to act. Also, this is the reason why we're renaming the old folders instead of deleting. 

5. reboot your computer and start installing v19. it should get installed properly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author daverose
‎06-18-2017 09:28 PM
Copper Contributor

Hello there,

You might have to reinstall v19, after removing v18 completely as follows.

1. uninstall v18 from the control panel's program and features

2. open run and go to %appdata%. rename the act folder to act.old

3. open run and go to %programdata%. rename the act folder to act.old

4. go to C: drive and open program files(x86), if you're using a 64 bit machine. rename the act folder to act.old.

Steps 2 to 4 might prompt confirmations and sometimes might show as folder is in use. On such cases, open task manager and end any task related to act. Also, this is the reason why we're renaming the old folders instead of deleting. 

5. reboot your computer and start installing v19. it should get installed properly.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response Gani.  I did notice that there were two ACT  executable and other files outside of Program Files (see pic).  So it did look like it downloaded v19, but not sure which one (or both) is the actual installation.  Any thoughts?

Also, I have attached a picture for the app data folders.  Is this the right folder?

Copper Contributor

Yes. This is the installation setup for v19.2. 19_sp2 stands for v19 service pack 2. So, run the setup from this folder.

Also, the act folder that you have selected on the second picture is the one that you have to rename.

Keep us posted with your results..
Copper Contributor

Hi Gani,

When I try to rename the appdata ACT folder I get an error message saying it's in use.  I restarted the computer and get the same message.  Do I need to uninstall v18 first?  What about the ACT folder inside the Program Files x86 folder (see pics).  I appreciate you help very much.

Copper Contributor

Hi Dave,

First you need to uninstall the existing v18 from your control panel. Open run and search as appwiz.cpl and it will open the installed programs list. From there, choose act premium or pro and uninstall it.
Upon successfully uninstalling it, open app data and rename the act folder that you have shown in the pervious picture. Then go to programdata and look for act folder and rename it. If it says, the folder is in use, reboot your machine and give it a try. Once its done, rename the act folder from program files(x86). That's exactly the same folder as you have shown in this picture.
Remember, this is just to prevent the overlapping of installation with the old program's files. This will not delete any of your database files. They are saved in a different location, which the act will figure out automatically after you install v19.2.

So, after renaming these folders, open the setup folder that you have shown in the previous picture and run the setup file. It'll take some time to install depending on your machine configuration.

You can also search as upgrading to version 19 on act's KB website, which is kb.act.com

You will find an appropriate article with the detailed steps as well.

Keep us posted with your results.
Copper Contributor

Will do.  I had a feeling I still needed to uninstall.  I am always timid at the thought of removing something this important that, despite being an old version, still works.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Dave

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gani,

The uninstall got interrupted by ACT! because I still had explorer open.  Once I closed explorer it looked like it completed, but there is still a piece of ACT! Premium present (see pic).  I still can't rename the two ACT! folders.  The second and third pictures below shows what is in the program file directory.  Help!

Thanks,

Dave

Copper Contributor

Bingo.  I went back to Task Manager and clicked on more details and found several ACT! processes running.  Once I stopped them and restarted I was able to rename folders and launch V19 installer.  Worked like a charm.

Thank you Gani for your help.

Copper Contributor

Hi Dave,

Glad it worked and happy to help you Smiley Happy