Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from v8 to v20. Can't open database

Upgrading from v8 to v20. Can't open database

I've copied the database from the old laptop with ACT 2016 (v8) to my new machine with ACT v20 but it gets stuck at "working" while verifying/converting the database.  Answer ID 36551 did not resolve this for me.

How do I open this older database with v20?

Administrator

Re: Upgrading from v8 to v20. Can't open database

How long have you left it to run through - depending on the speed of your machine and the size of the database, it's not unheard of for a database upgrade/restore to take a few hours.

Are you getting any error messages?

[ Edited ]

It's a newer laptop with a gen 7 i5. No error messages, it's run for 5 hours. DB is 70MB. Microsoft onedrive has been disabled also.

Copper Contributor

Did you do a database maintenance before upgrading? If not, please do so. If it still does not not work, the database might be damaged. You can try repairing it using act diag. This should help. And remember making a backup before getting started.

[ Edited ]

I did do a database maintenance before upgrading. Also, the current version of actdiag doesn't seem to include a repair utility. Should i install SQL server 2008 to resolve this?  I'll paypal $5 USD to whoever can provide the fix.

Employee

When you "copied the database" to new pc do you mean you actually copied the individual MSFT SQL database files?
I like the method of making a backup via the File Menu on old Act! and then File Restore on new pc.

Making a backup via the File menu on the old PC gave me a zip file that seemed to small. ACT v20 couldn't read it either. What I've done is copy the entire folder from the old PC, ADF, PAD etc. all of it.
Copper Contributor

Copper Contributor

This shows you where to find the repair otption in actdiag.
Nickel Contributor

As far as I remember things, you can't update a v8 directly to v20 due to a missing "migration path" from SQL 2000 to SQL 2014.

Concerning the Backup: known problem, v8 cannot create backups with a total size greater than 4 GB. The will be no error message, nothing. The backup will just be 4 GB and incomplete and completely useless. You will have to ZIP/Copy the database structure manually to another machine. The next challenge for you will be to set up a machine with an "intermediate" ACT! version (SPI guys should help you with a download link) like v12.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de