Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from Act! 2007 & XP to Act! 2010 & Windows 7 (64-bit)

Upgrading from Act! 2007 & XP to Act! 2010 & Windows 7 (64-bit)

[ Edited ]

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (64-bit) from XP Professional.  I was able to create a backup of my Act! 2007 database files but not through export...just through the Act! folder since I had a crash that made me unable to access Act!.  I've now installed Act! 2010 to replace 2007.  I've seen posts on here that say I can use Act! 2010 with Windows 7 even though it doesn't advertise its compatibility.  The only confilct I see is that I can't use it with Outlook, but I don't use the features that connect the two.  I simply use CompanionLink software to sync my Act! & Outlook calendar and contacts, which then sync to gmail and my Android phone.  If it matters, I'm running Office 2010, but again, I'm not using the features of Act! that work between it and Outlook like how you can view your emails in Act!...don't need that.

So, here's the million dollar question:  Can I use Act! 2010 with Windows 7 (64-bit), and if so, am I able to use the data file from my old Act! 2007 to retore the database to the new version?

It's coming up with an error message when I try to load it, so if there's a trick to doing it, a hot fix I need, or something I'm just missing, I'd appreciate the help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Upgrading from Act! 2007 & XP to Act! 2010 & Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello JSRinCal,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

ACT! by Sage 2010 is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit (ACT! by Sage 2010 System Requirements).

It is not compatible with Office 2010, but that would not be the issue when attempting to open a database.  Most likely, when you copied the database files - you included the *.PAD file, which now references a different computer name or path (or both). 

- Browse to the database files

- Rename the *.PAD file (add '.old' to the end)

- Launch ACT! 2010 > File > Open Database

- Change 'Files of Type' to *.ADF

- Browse to database files and select the ADF file

- Attempt to open

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried this.  It's letting me get as far as to authenticate the .adf file.  I don't think I set a username and password for the file previously, and anything I would have used isn't working.  Is there some default?

Also, once I try to then go back in and open it again, it says the file is already in use and doesn't give me access to it.

Platinum Super Contributor

A username is required in the database, if you weren't prompted to enter a password previously - that means you didn't have a password. Generally a username will be some combination of your name (firstname lastname, firstinitial lastname, etc...), try the combinations leaving the password field blank.

Also, when opening ACT! do this: right click on ACT! icon and select 'Run as administrator'. This is to ensure Windows UAC doesn't prevent you from accessing files.
Greg Martin
Sage