Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from Act 2000 to Act 2010

Upgrading from Act 2000 to Act 2010

Hi all,

I've been requested by a client to upgrade his current ACT 2000 database to 2010.  I've read through the FAQ linked above, but I was wondering if there were any sage (no pun intended) words of advice regarding this process that any could give me?  Any pitfalls, things to avoid, things to make certain I do, things that will make post upgrade life better, etc...

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Upgrading from Act 2000 to Act 2010

[ Edited ]

Hello Kelly,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Making the jump from 2000 to 2010 is pretty significant, so we usually advise upgrading first from ACT! 2000 to ACT! 6.0, then from 6.0 to 2010. You can find a free download of the 30-day trial version of ACT! 6.0 in KB 13192 for the purpose of conversion. Also, run maintenance on your ACT! 2000 database prior to converting to 6.0 using the ACT! Diagnostics utility. Run the maintenance in 6.0 as well before converting to 2010.

Message Edited by ghollister on 12-22-2009 05:03 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Re: Upgrading from Act 2000 to Act 2010

[ Edited ]

Pheylan wrote:

Hi all,

I've been requested by a client to upgrade his current ACT 2000 database to 2010.  I've read through the FAQ linked above, but I was wondering if there were any sage (no pun intended) words of advice regarding this process that any could give me?  Any pitfalls, things to avoid, things to make certain I do, things that will make post upgrade life better, etc...

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

Kelly,

When you're upgrading a database from ACT! 6 or prior to ACT! 2010, ACT! 2010 creates a backup of the database first, then copies the database to a different location to upgrade it to a new format.  It doesn't actually change the original database.  While the suggestions above are good and are the proper way to ensure a safe upgrade, I just recently upgraded an ACT! 4 (the version prior to ACT! 2000) database and it worked flawlessly on it's own without doing any preparation.  My rationale is that since it's a copy you can always delete it if it doesn't convert successfully and attempt it again since it's always a copy of the data.  ACT! 2010 has become very good at upgrading databases from ACT! 6 and prior.

Message Edited by avanderlaan on 12-23-2009 08:45 AM
Adrian VanderLaan
Professional Computer Management Inc.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada