Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading from ACT! 6 to ACT17/18 - No more NAS? - so what next...

Copper Contributor

Upgrading from ACT! 6 to ACT17/18 - No more NAS? - so what next...

I have been using ACT! v6 for AAAGES!

And until now there has been little reason to change, although I have checked in every now and again. The inability to save and share the database on a mapped NAS drive sent the upgrade desire into the "too hard basket". Plus we use Thunderbird as an email client, so... again - not much reason to change.

Currently it is just myself and my father in the business. We work from home, in the garage. So if you are envisaging a large multinational company with salesmen in the field and an I.T department, this is not us.Smiley Happy

There are 2 separate PCs in the garage (converted to an office). A gigabit network leads to a QNAP TS-210 in the house. So if the garage gets broken into and the computers get nicked - we still have the important company "drive". The QNAP also lets me take weekly updates off-site by just plugging in an external USB and letting the QNAP back up to it automatically. And the NAS runs on low power compared to a PC. We went to the NAS after getting sick of having the database exist on one of our computers, where the other person gets disconnected if you restart/shutdown.

So now I am looking to (try to) upgrade finally. The e-marketing account from v17 plus the webform entry and an available add-on that links our accounting software to act! is making it an attractive proposition.

However, I am in a quandry about how to simulate our current NAS setup. I have never dealt with the Microsoft server thing before. I do NOT want to do the "cloud" thing .... I don't trust it. So maybe someone can walk me though what I need to do.

Currently I have 2 computers running Windows 7 and a QNAP TS-210 (which I don't think is gigabit) on a gigabit network (gigabit switch, network cards and appropriate wiring).

So, as I understand it, my current NAS supports iscsi. However, based on a different topic here (http://community.act.com/t5/Act/NAS-and-iSCSI/td-p/233401), I'm not sure whether this solution is viable, plus it seems complicated - although the "pro" would be I don't have to change my infrastructure.

Capture.JPG

As such, it seems as though I must purchase another PC to host the ACT! database, running SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP1 Express  (or the like). I was hoping that something like a micro PC would suffice, since it will essentially be used only for the ACT! database.

e3494b223dea2f48a69f84ba3c319ebe.png.jpg

Then I install act! 17/18 on it, as well as on the PC's in the garage and I am back up and running after some configuration?

Hopefully someone can offer me some guideance.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Upgrading from ACT! 6 to ACT17/18 - No more NAS? - so what next...

all you need is that the NAS always appears as a local drive - one of the two computers that you have now can be the server.

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply, Juan Smiley Very Happy

If I understand it correctly, the computer that acts as the server must therefore always be switched on?

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi sKraeL,

It sounds like you would be best off with a machine dedicated to being both your Act server and NAS.

In order to reliably host a database from a machine that is not the machine you're accessing the database on, we recommend that the host machine has Act installed, and has the database is shared.

The workstation machines would then connect to this, and all changes would be stored on the host machine. You could then set up a scheduled backup to a remote location or external drive. The host machine would have to be on for either of your workstations to accesses the database.

Here's a Knowledgebase article that explains the process http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878

You could then also share unrelated folders/drives/partitions from the host machine to the workstation machines to act as network storage.