Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgraded to ACT 2009 now I can't open my database, it is asking for a password

Upgraded to ACT 2009 now I can't open my database, it is asking for a password

Hello,

I've been using ACT 2007 with no problems.  I just upgraded to ACT 2009.  When I try to open my database it is asking for a password.  I never used and password before.  On installation of the new program it asked if I wanted to use a password for databases and I answered no.

Can anyone help?  I'm very frustrated right now!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Upgraded to ACT 2009 now I can't open my database, it is asking for a password

bergthold,

Did you try just clicking OK without entering a password?

MrWright

Re: Upgraded to ACT 2009 now I can't open my database, it is asking for a password

[ Edited ]
Yes I tried that, would not work. The "OK" button is dim and not clickable with it blank.
Message Edited by bergthold on 09-14-2008 07:52 AM

I'm having the exact same problem (this same thing occured with the 2005 version). When  I tried to open the database (which has no password associated with it) it opens up a login screen with the name "Chris Huffman." I went to the knowledge base and there is a article on the subject (14057) asking us to unattach the database. I tried this butuUnfortunately ACT will not let me open the .adf database because I'm not the administrator (wrong again). The article actually mentions "Chris Huffman."

Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you fill in your user name?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I got it to work.  Here's how I did it.  I right clicked the ACT icon and started as an administrator.  When the pass word dialog box came up I just put in my first and last name (that is how the program is registered) and then left the pass word box blank.

It then proceeded to back up and update the data base for version 2009.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and used every username possible - no luck. I will call support in the morning. I swear I had this same problem several years ago.