04-02-2017 04:58 PM
Everything has been working fine with Act 18 but had a notification about an upgrade so I went ahead. After I opened updated Act I had an exception while it was converting database. Now I can't access database or any older (backed up) versions of my database.
Tried some of the tricks by deleting .pad and .alf files but no success. Tried a system restore but that failed.
The database is shared between 2 computers and I updated both computers (server and client) and have the same problem on both. Server is running Win 7 Pro and client is running Win 10. Both have been working nicely for about a year with Act 18.
I'm completely stuck ! Please Help.
04-03-2017 03:56 PM
Just a quick update. After trying a number of things with tech support today, still no luck. I did opt to do the backup before I did the update but wasn't able to use it to restore my database. Got some object reference error of some kind every time I tried.
However, today I decided to try to create a new database from the backup and that worked !
Now, I just have to try to rename the database to the old name so all the other stuff will work but at least we have access to the data and hopefully we'll be back up running again tomorrow after a completely lost day.
04-04-2017 05:00 AM
04-04-2017 07:30 AM
I was multitasking when i ran the update and didn't pay much attention to the error message except last line said "Exception" when I first started the updated ACT. I kind of realized as soon as I hit OK I should probably have paid more attention. The error came during the database conversion that needed to be done after the update.
Once I had this error I couldn't open the database. I tried open a backup copy, I tried do a restore from ACT but it refused to do anything. Don't know why I didn't think of creating a new database from my backup earlier.
04-05-2017 07:51 AM
We have had similar issues when upgrading older databases to v18. Our best practice since then is to stop the SQL service, take a copy of ADF and ALF to a safe place, restart teh SQL service and then give it a first try to convert the database. As we stop/start the SQL service during that process, this seems to be the actual action healing the problems with the database updates. Since we do that, we never had to redo the database update, they all went through on the first attempt.