Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgraded ACT! Pro 2012 with latest patch and get "Sage ACT! has stopped working...Windows looking for a solution

Upgraded ACT! Pro 2012 with latest patch and get "Sage ACT! has stopped working...Windows looking for a solution

I noticed that I had an update available to my ACT! Pro 2012 so I backed up my database and installed the update.  It then asked me to update the database, which I did.  I shut down the program at the end of the day. 

Next day, I tried opening up the ACT! shortcut (Administrator Mode) and I got the following message:  "Sage ACT! has stopped working...Windows will look for a solution".  This message flashes on the screen and then disappears.  I checked the ACT Knowledgebase and decided to go into user settings and change the User Account Control Settings to NEVER NOTIFY and then restarted the computer.

After restarting I tried opening ACT! but got the same error message!  What is next?

Any help here would be appreciated!

Scott P.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Upgraded ACT! Pro 2012 with latest patch and get "Sage ACT! has stopped working...Windows looking for a solution

Hello Scott,
This may be due to a damaged preferences file. Follow the steps in the bottom of this Knowledgebase article to manually rebuild your ACT! preferences file:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1477...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Upgraded ACT! Pro 2012 with latest patch and get "Sage ACT! has stopped working...Windows looking for a solution

Thank you for your quick advice!  I failed to mention that my database originates from the former ACT! for Financial Professionals which I understand Sage is no longer supporting.  When I upgraded from either 2010 or 2011 ACT! for Financial Professionals to ACT! Pro 2012, I was able to continue using the custom fields.  I worry that someday I will lose all those custom fields by some mishap.  How can I protect my backup file with the Financial Professional custom fields?

Thank you again!

Scott P.

I tried two methods for rebuilding the Sage ACT! preferences file and neither worked. 

Next step is uninstall -- reinstall -- oh well!

Platinum Super Contributor

You mention 'administrator mode', so it appears your computer may have a Vista or Windows 7 operating system.  If that is correct, here is an article with instructions for changing the compatibility mode: KB Article 20539

Greg Martin
Sage