Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade to v21 getting computer name error

Upgrade to v21 getting computer name error

We had v17 on the systems and trying to upgrade to v21.   iI nstalled v21 on the Windows 2012 Server and it updated the database fine. I started to install it on a Windows 7 Workstations and get this error: The Windows User Name is same as the computer name of your machine. This can break the SQL Server 2008 R2 install. Please refer to ACT! KB 27152 for more details – I looked for this and it says the computer name and user name are the same but they arent - computer name is combine1 and username is Brian - I get this same error on all five workstations - also server name and user name are different - need to figure out an answer asap

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Upgrade to v21 getting computer name error

Hello,

I have had some positive results by:
Uninstalling Act! via Control Panel

Uninstalling SQL via Control Panel

38128 How to uninstall the ACT7 instance from Microsoft SQL Server 2014

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38128/kw/uninstall%20sql

Reboot

Reinstall Act!

Many thanks,

Carl

Act! Support
Customer Success & Support Team

Do you have to do this on the workstation or server?  I removed ACT! from Control Panel as well as using an uninstaller I found last on the web last night.  I dont understand why it installed on server fine but now not any of the workstations

Do you have to do this on the workstation or server?; I removed ACT! from Control Panel as well as using an uninstaller I found last on the web last night.  I dont understand why it installed on server fine but now not any of the workstations

I finally fixed this - had to create a new Admin account, log in with that on the workstation and change the computer name, then reboot and login with the user and install the software - kind of a pain but glad its working
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey so this is a major pain in the rear.  Can we get a feature request on this?

Act installer won't let me proceed because the client set up the username to be the same as the system name.  A foolish thing to do, sure, but the frustrating part is that I'm not even trying to install SQL.  This will be a LAN installation with no SQL.  The Act installer won't even give me a chance to skip SQL - it just tells me that this would interfere with SQL and quits.

So now I've got to change the system name (and potentially break other apps) just to appease the SQL Express installer that I plan to skip.

If the logic is that having a system name = user name would interfere with the SQL Install, then perhaps the installer should check for this after the client has selected the option to install SQL, not before.

Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants
......Stephen Boulden
Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
P: 716.837.5727 x104
E: stephen@twelvethree.com