Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade to v18 nightmare

Skilled Commentator

Upgrade to v18 nightmare

I upgraded today based on the information that Win 10 was compatible with v18 only.

My problem started when trying to sync my calendar to Google. There have been problems for years but I created workarounds. However, last week doing the sync completely deleted my calendar and all of its history. Nothing there.

Today when upgrading I realized my database was totally corrupted and repairs did not work. I could not even add an item. I finally exported my contacts to a partial degree by Excel but lost all the history. 

IN the upgrade, I lost my contact layout. I now have to go in and redo/change/edit a lot of fields and this includes the items in my drop down menus. Those are all gone. 

In trying to sync again to Google I had to create a totally new database (multiple times for trial and error) to get the calendar to sync. It still is not working right. I have to sync to Outlook then use a 3rd party program to sync to Google or the calendar becomes totally useless. 

Now that I've basically lost my history (sans opening up the old database for contacts and an older database for calendars) my history is gone and I'll have to spend hours working out layout and making sure the calendar is omplete and syncs properly.

1. Is there an easier way for the layout versus basically redoing about 50% of it?

2. Is there a way to import the contacts from my old database being corrupted so badly? Every time I tried it completely ruined the calendar.

3. What am I missing from being able to sync directly from Act to Google? I've done everything and this is imperative. 

I'm ready to give it all up and just go Google. Act has been a pain for years now and I am not going to pay for support when it should be provided for something like this. A new install that doesn't work and has issues and support is $40? No. 

Thanks for any help. I've used this for probably 12+ years now and I'm just really done. 

Administrator

Re: Upgrade to v18 nightmare

Hi Misti,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I'll do what I can to help you out:

1. The easiest way to copy the layout from another database, is to create an empty copy of the other database (File > Save Copy As). This copies all the fields and the layout as they were in the original database.
  2. We'd really need to understand the level of 'corruption', and exactly what's happened to the original database. We are able to provide database repair services through our support team, once we've attempted the usual testing and troubleshooting. I'd be happy to arrange a support call for you, but a support contract would have to be in place on your account.
  3. Again, we'd need to understand exactly what's happening when trying to sync in different scenarios. 

Skilled Commentator

Thank you. I basically went back to a November backup and imported that. I"m going to at least have a base of my calendar and the recurring appts. and most of the contacts. I am now experiences problems importing 20 people. I"ve tried Excel, CSV and it says it is working but the contacts are not showing up. 

Any ideas on that? 

Skilled Commentator

Never mind. I did an import with selecting the fields and they came in correctly.

I'm afraid of getting this all fixed and then the calendar sync messes things up all over again. But at least this is a start. 

Thanks for the assistance...may be back.