Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade to V23 Not going smoothly

Copper Contributor

Upgrade to V23 Not going smoothly

I have been an ACT user since it was a DOS program. I just upgraded to act!_v23_sp0x156 from ACT Ver 22.1 Plus Update 4. I can change the Email Preferences in ACT, but when I open Outlook, it tells me to change the ACT preferences, so I try to do that in Outlook. I change them to where I want them and click on save. Then when I try to attach a received email, it tells me Preference for type of email to attach is none. I open up the ACT Change Preferences and they are back to the defaults. I have done this repeatedly and the changes never get saved. Tomorrow is a work day and I need to be able to attach emails. Can anyone help me.

Thanks in advance...

Copper Contributor

Re: Upgrade to V23 Not going smoothly

[ Edited ]

Here is what I am talking about. I make the changes...

ACT-OutlookPlugIn_ChangePreferences_Before.jpg

ACT-OutlookPlugIn_ChangePreferences_QuickAttach_Before.jpg

Then I save the changes. When I try to attach an email it says "type of record history to record is none" and will not attach the email. When I go back into preferences, I find they are back to the defaults.

ACT-OutlookPlugIn_ChangePreferences.jpg

ACT-OutlookPlugIn_ChangePreferences_QuickAttach.jpg

It will not let me attach emails...

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried to upgrade to V23 Update 4 from 22.1 Update 4 on two computers today. First, I installed over V22.1 Update 4. I could not get the Outlook Plugin Preferences to save on PC1 and I could not get the Outlook Plugin to work at all on PC2. I also tried uninstalling V23 Update 4 and doing a fresh install. I had the exact same two problems.

So, I gave up trying to get V23 Update 4 to work. I uninstalled V23 Update 4 on both PCs and reinstalled V22.1 with Update 4 on both PCs. PC1 works fine, but on PC2 at first I could not get past the 30 Day Trial Lock. Eventually I punch something in that got me past the lock, but now the Outlook Plugin does not work at all on PC2. I am beyond frustrated.

Every time I have to do an ACT update or upgrade I dread it. They never go easy. I only hope I can get someone from SwiftPage on the phone tomorrow to help me get PC2 working with the V22.1 Update 4 Outlook Plugin.

I feel like saying something really nasty, but I am just too tired...

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remembered why the ACT Outlook plugin was not working. We have a LAN, but we do not have a server. I use my PC to host the shared database.

Our PCs are all on Dell Workstations, running Windows 10 Pro latest updates and Microsoft 365 latest updates.

All other PCs on the LAN (Local Area Network) other than my PC which host the shared database, need to the have the following done for V22.1 Update 4 and above for the ACT Outlook Addon (Plugin) to work...

If you haven't already done so, you will need to set up an Administrator Account on All PCs on your LAN. Be sure to name them all the same. (IE: Admin or Administrator) and give them all the exact same password. Of course, keep the password private just for your LAN Administrator, etc.

Method 1: Enable Admin Account in Command Prompt

Using Command Prompt is the simplest and widely-used method to activate administrator account.

Step 1: Type cmd in the Search bar.

Step 2: Right-click Command Prompt from the search results and select Run as administrator.

Step 3: Now type the command net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter to enable the built-in administrator account.

enable administrator account in Command Prompt

Once it’s done, you can click the Start button and click your user account name. In the pop-up list, the hidden administrator account will be displayed. You can access this account simply by clicking it.

access administrator account

Then using the Windows 10 search field (lower left of Desktop 1)
Type Services, then click on Run as Administrator
When window opens, right click on ACT! Web API Host and select Properties
In General Tab Change Start type: Automatic
Then select the Log On Tab
Click on Radio button for This account
Type in Administrator
Password: xxxxxxxx
Click on Apply and then click on OK to close