Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade from V18 to V19 issues..

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Upgrade from V18 to V19 issues..

I am trying to get the sales team of a product line on ACT!

I have a very small DB right now because we are trying to work on layouts and workflows etc. 

Since it is small, and I really only have 1 person on the application, I decided to upgrade from V18 Pro to V19 Pro.

So I downloaded the bits, made a backup and did the upgrade. 

After the upgrade, I opened ACT v19 and clicked open database. I clicked on the dB I wanted and nothing happened. I did this a couple more times and nothing at all happened. 

Then I closed act, rebooted, and tried again. nothing.

Then I rebooted, ran as admin, and nothing

Then I tried registering my new version, and this time I got a login for my DB. Hooray!!

I logged in and it said i needed to upgrade the DB. This was expected. So I said ok, it worked for a few minutes, then it came back with some error. I reviewed the error log(attached) and it seemed inconsequential, so I closed the log and tried to login to act again, and again I am struck with nothing happening. 

Now, the 1 user is back because he was gone yesterday, and wants to use Act. How can I fix this and move on?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎01-26-2017 03:48 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Upgrade from V18 to V19 issues..

I solved this one.

The root cause of the error, was another user had their ACT! open the whole time. User never turns off their computer or closes programs.

After posting a couple of hours ago, I uninstalled ACT on the server and reinstalled. I was able to login hooray! I went to the primary user of the software and upgraded him, and then he was good. 

He called me a minute later to tell me he was receiving the blocked port error. 1434.

I went on the server and was unable to login again.

Running the utilities, I looked at the SQL logs and found that there were a bunch of login errors. I ran an nslookup on the IP and found it was the user who never turns off his computer. I closed his ACT, installed the newer version. 

Then I went back to the server and uninstalled and reinstalled. It has been good for 15 min now with no errors. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎01-26-2017 03:48 AM
Copper Contributor

I solved this one.

The root cause of the error, was another user had their ACT! open the whole time. User never turns off their computer or closes programs.

After posting a couple of hours ago, I uninstalled ACT on the server and reinstalled. I was able to login hooray! I went to the primary user of the software and upgraded him, and then he was good. 

He called me a minute later to tell me he was receiving the blocked port error. 1434.

I went on the server and was unable to login again.

Running the utilities, I looked at the SQL logs and found that there were a bunch of login errors. I ran an nslookup on the IP and found it was the user who never turns off his computer. I closed his ACT, installed the newer version. 

Then I went back to the server and uninstalled and reinstalled. It has been good for 15 min now with no errors. 

Administrator

Thanks for letting us know the cause of this issue.