Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade from 5 (2000) to 15 (2013) via 6

Upgrade from 5 (2000) to 15 (2013) via 6

I understand that to upgrade from ACT! 2000 to 2013, I need to go to ACT 6 first.  I've been able to get to 6, but I can't get to 2013.  If I try a direct upgrade, the conversion process just freezes at about 15%.  Tried on a couple different PCs.  Using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.   I've tried a database repair with actdiag.  Once in a few tries, I get the error that pre7actdb.adb is in use.  What's the best method to make this conversion?  What's the hangup?

Silver Contributor

Re: Upgrade from 5 (2000) to 15 (2013) via 6

Most likely, the reason it's failing is on some bad or corrupt data.  Make sure you run maintenance from teh ACT 6 ACT diag program and do a scan repair.  If it still won't go, you may want to consider an ACT consultant.  

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I've run everything actdiag can do.  Since I'm going to have to abandon most of the historical email functionality anyway, maybe a flat export/import is the only way to go.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello kerflumper,
You may be able to resolve this issue by converting the ACT! 6.0 database to ACT! 2005, then from there to ACT! 2013. Here is the link to download the 2005 trial that you can use for this purpose: http://download.act.com/act2005trial_old.exe

Note: This is a full install of ACT! 2005 (version 7.0.4) that will expire after 30 days.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Going to 2005, I get the same result as going to 2013.  Just freezes during conversion.

We have seen this issue on Win 7 and Win 8 64-bit machines. Do you have a Windows XP (preferred) or Windows 7 32-bit machine you can use for the conversion?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

We might have a winner.  Initial indications are that doing it on XP works.  I'll have to go through and verify the data, but it looks good.  Then I'll need to see that I can get it over to Windows 7 intact.

[ Edited ]

Good to hear. Once you have converted it on XP, you should have no issues moving it over to Windows 7. The issue appears to happen when the conversion itself is done on Win 7 or Win 8 64-bit machines.

Greig Hollister

[ Edited ]

When I try to move it to the Windows 7 install, I get the error "Unable to connect to the database.  Please verify the ACT7 SQL instance is running.:

EDIT:  I think my install of 2013 was corrupt as I had uninstalled a few times and the last install was after 2005.  Started over and now I get a "could not authenticate user" error when trying to complete the move.  There is no user/password in the old db.

EDIT 2:  Noticed the problem, it did indeed have a usename but no password. Now the problem that I see is that on the PC that I upgraded to 2013 from 6, all my email is there.  I can't get it to show up on the one that I moved the database to (on Win7).

Platinum Super Contributor

You will need to verify that the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service is installed and started.  Use the instructions in the following article: KB Article 28216

If 'SQL Server (ACT7)' is not listed in Services, the SQL Server installation was not complete.  If there are no other programs using SQL Server on the computer, you will need to uninstall Sage ACT! and all components of 'Microsoft SQL Server', then manually reinstall SQL Server using the instructions in this article: KB Article 26994

Once the SQL Server (ACT7) service is installed and started, you will then install Sage ACT!.

Greg Martin
Sage