Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade 2009 to Act! 2011 on another computer

Upgrade 2009 to Act! 2011 on another computer

Here is the senario:

I have Act! 2009 on a windows xp machine. I do not have the cd for this install. I want to have Act! on a Windows 7 machine. So I purchsed Act 2011. I plan to install it on the Windows XP machine to update the Act 2009 to 2011. Then I would like to export the database to the windows seven machine where I will then use it.

Does anybody see any issues that might arrise from this?

Maybe I should export the 2009 Database to the Windows 7 machine with the 2011 Act  already installed?

Thanks for the help!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Upgrade 2009 to Act! 2011 on another computer

[ Edited ]

Hello seancahoon,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! User Community. For the scenario you are describing, i would recommend:
1. Back up your 2009 database on the XP machine, then copy the backup (.zip) file to a flash drive, network drive, or CD
2. Install and register ACT! 2011 on the Windows 7 machine
3. Copy the backup file to the local hard drive of the Win 7 machine
4. In ACT! 2011, go to File > Restore > Database, and choose the "Restore As" option.
5. Restore the backup, then open the database. You will then be prompted to convert it to ACT! 2011 format.

Note: Before making the backup of 2009 on the XP machine, make sure you know your login username and password (if you have a password). You will need these when restoring the backup.

If this is a shared database, then all other users must also update to 2011 in order to access the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.