Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Updating Act and moving database to the network

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Updating Act and moving database to the network

I'm upgrading from Act2006 to Act2012 and moving the database from a local computer to a network server.  Act will run on a new server that is just housing and sharing the database from its local drive.  The users will access the database via a network share using their local workstations.  My question is when I move the existing database from the local computer running Act2006 to the network server running Act2012 is it as simple as copying over the zip file from the local computer to the server and doing a "restore as"?  From what I have read on the post it looks like I may need to first install Act2006 on the server and then copy over the zip file of the Act2006 database that was on the local drive, then load the database via "restore as" to the server, after loading the database to the correct local drive on the server uninstall Act2006, install Act2012 and load the old database via "restore as".  What is the best way to go about upgrading a moving a database to a network drive at the same time?

Also, when I restore the existing database to Act2012 I don't want any of the previous users to be active and want to create all new users.  What is the best way to go about doing that without losing any of the previous data?  Thanks for the help.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kantek
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Updating Act and moving database to the network

Hello Kanteck,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Moving the database is a simple as creating a backup in ACT! 2006 > move the zip file > install 2012 on new server > restore using 'Restore As'.  You do not need to install ACT! 2006 on the new machine.

The users in the restored database will have the same status as when the back up is created.  Once restored, you can set the existing user names to inactive and create new users.  Depending on what you want to do with the old user names, keep in mind that each record has a record manager and record creator - deleting user names will require you to reassign (or delete) the records to another user.  Leaving the user name inactive will help retain a more accurate history.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kantek
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Kanteck,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Moving the database is a simple as creating a backup in ACT! 2006 > move the zip file > install 2012 on new server > restore using 'Restore As'.  You do not need to install ACT! 2006 on the new machine.

The users in the restored database will have the same status as when the back up is created.  Once restored, you can set the existing user names to inactive and create new users.  Depending on what you want to do with the old user names, keep in mind that each record has a record manager and record creator - deleting user names will require you to reassign (or delete) the records to another user.  Leaving the user name inactive will help retain a more accurate history.

Greg Martin
Sage

The upgrade went great.   Thank you for the reply and information!

We recently had a computer died, but thankfully had backed up our Database. My question is that we have 2 databases and I did a "Restore as " after downloading the link I was provided to to reinstall Sage Act Pro 2013. Since the main computer had died I reinstalled Act on both computers and Restored both Databases. However, one of Databases doesnt show the Calendar schedule/appointments/etc on both Computers, just on one computer. 

Is there a way to fix this, actually I would like to Remove one of the Databases on my computer so that it will just be on the New Computer as my Director only needs to access that information. I cant seem to figure out how to Delete this Database from my computer and how to fix it on my Directors computer where she can access all her Calendar scheduled appointments.