Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Update from 2005 to 2013

Update from 2005 to 2013

I'm having a devil of a time updating from 2005 to 2013.  New version is on a new computer so this is an upgrade and a migration.  

I first used backup to create zips on the old computer but could not get those to load on the new version.

I then followed the instructions to unhook the database from SQL, copied the database files to the ACT folder on the new computer.  I then opened the new folder and it said it needs to update the database.  OK.  Now I've got the box with the little circles that says "Working...", but it's been working for a couple of hours.

It's not crashed but doesn't appear to be doing anything.  According to resource manager, Act isn't using any CPU or HD.  How long could this possibly take?  My database is under 1500 customers.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Update from 2005 to 2013

Harrypt,
The update process shouldn't take hours (generally 5 to 10 minutes at most).

Can you provide some further information about your situation:
- What happened when attempting to restore the backup file? Error?
- Can you create a new database (File > New Database)? If no, what is the error?
- What is new computer operating system?
Greg Martin
Sage

Well it was still "working" this morning when I came in.

Dell Optiplex with fresh install of Windows 7 Pro.

When I attempt to restore the backup file it says working, then says failed deleting temporary files and I get a big error window with lots of text but I can't cut and paste the text from it and don't see a way to attached a picture here so can't send a screen grab.

Errors when creating a new database, similar window as above.

I de and re-installed ACT and got same errors.  I restored the computer from a drive image taken before the installation of ACT, re-installed ACT and now having same problem.

I now took my old database files and pasted them into the Act folder and tried to open.  Failed.  Tried to open existing database and it was listed but if I try to open I get :

Exceptions occurred while executing the database Schema Update Script.

Contact your Administrator for assistance.

Changed database context to 'master'.Changed database context to 'Accounts'.
*********** Schema Update failed **************
*********** Exception message follows *********

I've killed a weekend and now a 2nd work day on this.... frustrated.

By the way, we're not running it on a network server, database is all local.

Try running Sage ACT! with the 'Run as administrator' option when attempting to open the database. To do this: close Sage ACT! > right click on Sage ACT! icon > select 'Run as administrator' > attempt to open database.

If that isn't successful: How much RAM does the computer have, and how much free space is on the C: drive?
Greg Martin
Sage

That doesn't help.

It's a 3ghz dual core with 4gb ram, not a huge hd but a couple hundfed gb free

There shouldn't be any trouble with 64 bit OS?

Copper Contributor

no problem with act 2013,

first I need the exact built no of your 2005 program

there are some issue you can't directly update the db from 2005 to 2013

second please go  to ACTDIAG

ref link   http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27607/kw/actdiag/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2NDM3ND...

you can also try doing db repair.

I am upgrading two computers.  Both are identical Optiplex and both fail.  One is upgrading from Act 2005, the other from 2010.

I tried running Actdiag on the old machines on the database before backing up.

Just tried Actdiag on new machines for first time and it fails.  

I tried Tools>Restore database>Restore database from backup as in Actdiag on the new machine and I get "Unhandled exception has occured...  Tried running as administrator with no change.  Only one user machine and user has administrative privelidges.

I don't know if I'm having a SQL problem or or a permissions problem but I'm on my 5th day of working on this and my 3rd work day wasted, I"m completely frustrated and I don't know what to do about it.

Since you are getting the errors when restoring a database and when attempting to create a new database, it appears there is either an environmental issue, or SQL is not installed correctly. 

To see if there is a conflicting program, try restarting the computer in 'Selective Startup', then attempt to restore/create a database.  Here is an article with instructions for Selective Startup: KB Article 21966

Greg Martin
Sage