Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Update a single field in Contacts using a field from the Company Record

Skilled Commentator

Update a single field in Contacts using a field from the Company Record

[ Edited ]

Hi

If I had 5 contacts for a Company (call it ACME LIMITED) - and the company is 'linked' to the contacts

Joe  /  Susan / Barry / Ben / Jane

I have a field under Companies, called Corporate_Colour

and I've set this to =Red

I have the same named field under contacts  Corporate_Colour

Lets just say

Joe has this field set to Red

Susan , Barry, Ben have the field blank

and Jane has an old setting equal to Yellow

Is there a way I can have the 'Company' field that is correctly set to Red, to update all the contacts that fall under the company.

I dont mind whether this is

a) A triggered event

b) or a manual 'once a week' batch process

c) or uses an addon or other

Regards

Administrator

Re: Update all a field in Contacts with based on and with a field from the Company Record

Yes, I believe the feature you're looking for is creating a linked Company/Contact field.

To do this, simply open the Define Fields menu from the Tools dropdown (you'll need to be the only user logged into the database to be able to do this).
Find the Corporate_Colour field in the contacts section and Edit Field.

Act!_2018-01-12_09-12-26.png

Click Next on the first page of options, and at the bottom of the second page you should see a check box titled : Link to Company Field.

Act!_2018-01-12_09-12-55.png

Checking this, and choosing the corresponding company field will link these fields together. What this means is that when that field is changed on the company record, you'll be prompted if you want to update all linked contacts with this same information - essentially cascading the information from the company field to the contact field.

Before making any field changes, I strongly recommend making a backup of your database - just in case.

You'll find more information on linked fields here:

KB 19170 - How to manage linked Company and Contact fields

Hope this helps!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Update all a field in Contacts with based on and with a field from the Company Record

[ Edited ]

Just to add on Jon's answer the field types should be the same type and best if same length and also with a shared drop-down list for best practice.

When you update the company record you then get a message asking if you want to  update all linked contacts, answer yes and all linked company fields will update their matching linked contact fields for all linked records. You can also force an update when in the company view by clicking on Company at the top of the screen and then Update Linked Contacts.

I note you ask about a single field update and this is only possible if you unlinked all the other fields if it was a problem to update all linked fields but you would lose some functionality as if a company changed address you would need to update all contacts manually if the fields had been unlinked.

OR use an add-on like the one linked here http://www.actaddons.com/addons/auto_fill_fields.asp

Skilled Commentator

[ Edited ]

Ahh...

I experimented with Jons method late last year . but stopped as I felt it could over write other records..

(It was a quick 15minute look, and I did not dig further...

I'll see if I can summarise.

Company = ACME

ACME has offices in Manchester and London and Oxford

Susans contact record has Address as CITY=London

Bobs contact  address is CITY=Manchester

But the ACME company record has CITY=OXFORD

I then go an update CORPORATE_COLOUR=RED

1) The Colour is updated

Is the implication that the addresses will be 'auto updated' and OXFORD will overwrite Susan and Bobs CITY record

(I'll go off and run some tests now in a test database)

(I see that the address is a non changeable - always linked record)

OR

Can I somehow manually choose for the address not to be updated?

Many thanks for the response

Administrator

[ Edited ]

In much the same way as linking a field, you can unlink fields that you don't want to update - just go to the corresponding contact field in define fields and uncheck it. 

You can see what fields are linked by opening the Companies view, going to the Companies drop-down in the top bar, and choosing "View Linked Fields" - this will display a list of all company fields and their corresponding linked contact fields. ( Address fields, as well as Industy, Website and some others are linked by default)

Skilled Commentator

Jon

Thanks

I can see it now - In my act - only Company name is linked. (which makes sense)

For some unknown reason - I had it in my head that address was linked.

But I can also see that changing a single linked field in Company will update all the linked fields (in the corresponding contacts)

But - that makes sense as well.

I'll give it a go and report back.

Thank you (and CH1P)

Skilled Commentator

Re: Update a single field in Contacts using a field from the Company Record

OK - I've given it a try and it works great.

If I remember the experiment I did last year, I believe

1) When you change a company field - it reminds/prompts you whether  you require all contacts to be updated

What I couldn't find was a way to ensure this always happens

and/or

To make this happen on a batch basis

eg If I had users updating the Company records and they did not update as they went...

Is there a way to ask for a batch update of ALL companies

Administrator

There is not, unfortunately, a way to do this for all companies in the base program.

However, I did develop a small tool that will do this for you.

The file is attached - just select your database from the dropdown and click update - all linked contacts will update for all companies

Please be aware - this tool is not officially provided by Swiftpage, it was developed by myself as a convenience for users, so use at your own risk (I'd recommend taking a backup first).

Skilled Commentator

Jon

Brilliant - Thank you so much.

I understand the caveats and no comebacks in the use of such a tool.

Regards