Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Up grading from Act 6.0 to Act 10.0

Up grading from Act 6.0 to Act 10.0

I've read some horror stories about upgrading from ACT 6.0 to ACT 10.0 and having a business database of close to 4000 contacts I do not want to mess it up. I realise and can probably simply back up my database on a USB key or cd but I dont want to spend weeks messing with the adjustments. Anybody have experience with this. Also I could also by  a new ACT 2007 (9.0) on ebay for $40.00 Is there a big difference between 9.0 and 10.0 worth the extra money?
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Up grading from Act 6.0 to Act 10.0

Do back up your database!
Perform repairs in ACTDIAG before trying to convert it
Remove the program using the act uninstaller utility do not let the new version uninstall it
Use best practices during the install (selective start up, administrative privilages etc.)

GL you should be fine
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

I have used 2006, 2007 & 2008.  It seems that the even numbered years have more stability.  One aspect that I don't like about the newer verfsions versus what I recall being in the 5.0 and 6.0 versions is the ability to attach emails directly to a group.  In the newer vesions, you have to have a contact to which to make the attachment.  Also, if you use a lot of groups, like I do, then they come up looking very mixed.  It would be nice if they came up in the dialogue in the tree format similar to what you see in Groups.  Hope this helps.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Pokwin,

Always back up databases, layouts, templates, documents, etc ... but you should do tihs regularly anyway. Don't backup directly to a CD or USB drive. Backup to the HDD and copy the file to the removable media.

Do ACT! 6.0 maintenance - Compress/Reindex and ACTDIAG Maintenance

I also recommend running RedFlag to check for data errors that can cause the conversions to have issues

ACT! 10 is certainly faster and more stable than ACT! 9.0... and if you're thinking about Vista or Office 2007, toy need ACT! 10
Platinum Elite Contributor

davem97132 wrote:
One aspect that I don't like about the newer verfsions versus what I recall being in the 5.0 and 6.0 versions is the ability to attach emails directly to a group.  In the newer vesions, you have to have a contact to which to make the attachment.  Also, if you use a lot of groups, like I do, then they come up looking very mixed.  It would be nice if they came up in the dialogue in the tree format similar to what you see in Groups.  Hope this helps.

Emails are really sent to contacts, not to groups.
What is it you want to see in a tree-view?