Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unusual installation issue

Unusual installation issue

I am attempting to install ACT 2009 on an additional computer. However, it simply goes in circles, starting installation, re-booting, and starting installation again. I have tried disabling Kaspersky, hoping this was the problem, but it did not help. Kaspersky has ACT listed as "low restricted," so theoretically, it shouldn't cause a problem anyway (although in computing, 'theoretically' and 'realistically' are often two very different terms).

ACT does not show up in 'program files' or any other folder on my computer.

I am not getting any error messages at all. I am attempting installation on a desktop computer with at least 20 Gigs of free space, Win XP Pro (all updates available installed as far as I know). I have installed the software on a different computer (same OS) without any problems, and the software works fine, but I need database access on the additional computer. I'm not getting the option to enter a serial code, so that cannot be the problem. It's probably some stupid little setting in Windows, but I would like to avoid wasting any more time than I already have, as it could be any number of issues.

I've tried installing it without installing SQL, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Still goes in circles.

Help??

Thanks in advance,

Jess

Copper Contributor

Re: Unusual installation issue

The first thing that comes to mind is make sure you delete all of your temp files.  Clean up your hard drive to free up more space.  Then check for malware on your system.  If you are installing on Vista or Win 7 make sure you start the install as admin.

Unfortunately, I don't think either of those are the issue. I AM the admin on this computer, running XP Pro.

I've got Kaspersky and Ad-Aware checking for malware/adware daily, and Webroot's Window Washer (awesome program) clearing temp files and other junk files daily.  They all auto-update.  And I've got 21 Gigs free on drive C, so I doubt space is an issue.

Thanks though!

Platinum Super Contributor

To help rule out other programs as conflicts, you can restart your computer in 'Selective Startup'.  This will reduce the number of services running.  Here is an article that explains the steps for restarting in Selective mode: How to Install Act! in Selective Startup Mode

If that does not work, you can try installing Act! using a downloaded file.  I have sent you a Private Message with a link and instructions.

Greg Martin
Sage