Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unpacking remote database

Unpacking remote database

I have created a remote database from a synch set of the entire main database (with apparent success).  I have saved this RDB file to a network location accessible by others in the office. When attempting to open the RDB on the second computer (on which ACT is installed) we are able to take the process right up to the import point, then we get a message that the zip contains invalid data.  I am unable to open or extract the file on either the main computer or the second one.  I can see it, it bears the ACT icon, shows the appropriate amount of data, but can't be opened or unpacked.....
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Unpacking remote database

Is this the full error: "zip contains invalid data."?

Have you tried copying the ZIP locally to the remote first?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

Do the users have full access to this shared folder? If only Read, try making it full.

I have tried to copy the file to the desktop - no luck.  The current location of the remote database is available to everyone and I had set up the RDB as such.  I also tried creating a new RDB using a new synch set - same problem.  I suspect this might have something to do with the original database transfer to the synch set being corrupted - but I have no clue as to how....... 

What do you mean "no luck"? It couldn't be copied?

When you say "current location of the remote database is available to everyone" - do you realise that each remote user must have their own RDB? You can't create one RDB andgive it to several remotes.

Back at this after an absence.  I am using ACT 2008.  I have attempted to copy the RDB to only one other computer.  The process works fine until it is ready to open and I get that "zip contains invalid data" message.  I have tried recreating a new RDB from a new synch set - same result.......