Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Uninstall and then upgrade?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Uninstall and then upgrade?

I'm running ACT 2013 Premium over a network with 5 users, and I'm being forced to upgrade to v21 due to this licensing problem. Our ACT consultants have said that we have to uninstall our 2013 version first, and then install the new version (v21 Pro) fresh rather than upgrading the current installation. Is this correct? I'm very hesitant to uninstall the server installation as my server runs MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1), and it appears that v21 will install Microsoft SQL server 2014 Express instead during the install process. Our workstations all run Windows 10, so those will be running the old MS SQL Server (ACT7) while the server is running the new Express version. We won't have any remote databases, but will need the 5 users to be able to connect over the network. Please advise.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Uninstall and then upgrade?

Hello,

First of all make backup of your database, and place a copy of that ZIP file in a USB memory or external disk for more security

I suggest using a new computer OR Re-installed or a virtual machine to install the new Act! version, this way it does not waste time and will be more secure

SERVER..,

If you do not have another computer, then it is necessary to uninstall Act! (Restart the server) uninstall all the previous SQL Server all components (Restart the server) and delete the folders (C:\program files(x86)\ACT) C:\program files(x86)\Microsoft SQL Server) ) (C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server) (before starting the new installation

Keep in mind that the new version of Act! is compatible only with Office 2013, 2016 and 365 (Not compatible with Office 2010 and earlier). CLICK Act! Pro V21 Systems Requirements

The computers of the users do not need SQL Server installed when they are going to always connect to the instance ACT7 of the server, only needs to copy the PAD file that are in the server in the desktop of the machines of the users

This images are just an example of the SQL Server components that must be uninstalled before installing the new version

1.png

2.png

3.png

Best regards and good luck

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the help. I tried to do the upgrade today and it did not go well. When version 21 installed, it did not install 3 of the services. The Act Scheduler, Act Service Host, and ACT smart task service host. As you will see in another one of my posts, I cannot install any of the hot fix updates either due to the installer thinking that I am running some version earlier than v21. Any thoughts? Could there still be fragments left behind from the old installation that are causing these problems?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

It looks like there are remnants of the 2013 Premium Network Sync still installed on the computer, and it is very damaged, i am not able to uninstall, repair, or remove it. Error 1605 no matter what I tey to do. I am thinking about using the removal tool located in the link below. Will that cleanup a damaged Network Sync installation?

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19338