Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Uninstall Business Contact Manager and ?? to load pain-free/optimize ACT!2008?

Copper Contributor

Uninstall Business Contact Manager and ?? to load pain-free/optimize ACT!2008?

Short history: I was running ACT! 2004 quite happily when Sage pulled the rug out from under it. I thought to try the new Microsoft Business Contact Manager 2007 last year about this time to (per Microsoft) "integrate more closely with Office 2007, Microsoft Accounting, etc." What a mistake! Business Contact Manager (BCM) has been a pitiful mess, and after seeing what little improvement the latest Microsoft Service Pack offered (i.e., nothing of any use), I could see that BCM was going nowhere. So, I've invested in ACT! 2008.

I'm running Windows XP Home (SP2) on a 1.6mhz laptop, 1.5 GB of memory. It seems that I've read on this forum that keeping BCM installed will force me to be running two instances of SQL Server (and perhaps other background programs) if also running ACT! 2008.

So, my question is: Based on my available computer specs, should I uninstall BCM either before (to avoid installation problems) or after (to avoid processing speed problems) attempting to load ACT! 2008? For similar reasons, would it be wise to unistall the BCM-installed versions of SQL Server and/or .Net Framework? Finally, by uninstalling any of these Microsoft programs, am I imperiling my continued use of Outlook 2007 as my E-mail client?

Thanks for any advice.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Uninstall Business Contact Manager and ?? to load pain-free/optimize ACT!2008?

If you are not using BCM any more I would uninstall it.  You can leave .net etc. there.  You can leave SQL express on but if the uninstall of BCM doesn't remove its instance you may need to uninstall that from Control Pannel yourself.

Tom
Copper Contributor

Re: Uninstall Business Contact Manager and ?? to load pain-free/optimize ACT!2008?

Thanks for the advice, Tom.