Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unexpected sort result

Astute Commentator

Unexpected sort result

This has been an ongoing problem that no one seems to be able to answer. I just found out that this forum was recently started so maybe there is someone here that can help.

Here is what I am doing: Go to the Contact List, Edit | Sort - select Name and make the field "And then By" to be Company

Here is what I get:
First I get many of the companies with a blank contact field sorted a-z by company name. Next I get a bunch more companies with blank contact field sorted a-z by company name. Last I get all the contacts with a contact field sorted a-z by last name.

This is not what I would expect. Here is what I would expect: First all companies with a blank contact field sorted by company name a-z. Next I would expect all records with a contact field sorted a-z by last name.

At first I was convinced that it was due to the contacts having different record creators, but that is not the case as in 2nd group there are various contacts that were created by different creators. You might ask, why I have different record creators in the first place and I would have to answer that it came mostly from ignorance. Over the yrs I have had different DB's for different purposes and at times have merged db's and upgraded and such. At one point I did not have my middle initial in there, but now I do so my contacts are about 1/2 & 1/2 now.  I have over 1000 contacts in there so anything I do is going to have to be more of a mass scale change rather than going in and changing each contact somehow. I don't believe that this is the source of the problem anway.

I have been and remain bewildered by this.

Any help or light anyone can shine on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Alan 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Unexpected sort result

I'm going to make a guess that one group of companies with the blank contact field has A or The as the first word of the company name.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Astute Commentator

That would make some sense, but no that is not the case. There is a whole big group of companies that have nothing in the contact field and the company names go from a to z and everthing inbetween and then mysteriously it starts over with another set of companies that also have nothing in the contact field and once again go from a-z. Then there is a 3rd group that has a name in the contact field and those are sorted by last name a-z as I would expect.

bizzare........... 

Astute Commentator

Arg.............

Not familiar with how this board works. No solution yet.............

Alan

Copper Contributor

epalanb wrote:

Arg.............

Not familiar with how this board works. No solution yet.............

Alan

Hi,

I unmarked it for you. In the future, you can unmark a solution by going to the post that you marked as a solution, clicking Options to the upper right of the post, and choosing Unmark as an Accepted Solution.