Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Undelete Contacts in ACT 2008 (v.10)

Undelete Contacts in ACT 2008 (v.10)

I accidentally deleted 20 contacts (deleted the lookup instead of the individual). I found the tutorial on this site for restoring contacts using the ActDiag tool, but the instructions don't seem to apply to ACT 2008. Is there no way to undelete in ACT 2008? I don't see anything in the Diagnostic tool that would allow me to undelete. I cannot from a backup, since I had just added the contacts an hour before I deleted them.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Undelete Contacts in ACT 2008 (v.10)

Sorry, no undelete feature.

Your best bet is to restore from a backup, but it sounds like these were added after your last update.

Hopefully, you still have the business cards to re-enter the info.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. It's really unexcuseable that there is no undelete feature in this version of ACT. It's an easy mistake to make, when you're busy and you forget to make sure "lookup" isn't selected. Since I gathered the phone #s and email through phone calls, it's all gone for good. It's unrealistic for a home user to backup every minute.

Do more recent versions of ACT also not have an undelete feature? If so, I won't be investing in ACT in the future.

Platinum Elite Contributor

No version of the ACT! program has had an undelete for the database tables. I could be wrong but I don't know of any multitable database that has an undelete.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

There are instructions on this website for restoring deleted contacts in older versions of ACT, so obviously it could be done at some point in the history of ACT. I design databases for a living, and I know it is absolutely possible to create tables that contain deleted data. I'm not saying it should be a normal feature that your every day user could access, but it should be there in the back-end diagnostic tool.

Copper Elite Contributor

I believe ACT! versions 3 to 6 had an undelete feature.  But it didn't actually restore all the information.  Your notes, activities, email addresses etc... would not come back.

They stopped developing ACT! 6 almost 10 years ago now in favor of developing the SQL based version.

It is not common practice to have an undelete feature.  Just because it is programatically possible doesn't mean it is a best practice or even recommended.

SQL Server can also do this if you turn on full recovery.  I highly recommend against it though, you'll end up with a 250+ Gb log file in no time.  This is also why the sql instance of ACT! by default only has simple recovery turned on.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

I still believe that for something that is so unbelievably easy to do, there needs to be a tool to fix it. Imagine if I had my entire database as the lookup? I see on these forums and elsewhere that this is a very common complaint in regards to ACT. I use ACT daily, so I'm not a beginner user, and I made the mistake.

There needs to be a trash bin for contacts, like in most other desktop programs. Even website Content Management Systems, based solely on SQL databases, have trash bins, from which content can be restored.

Copper Elite Contributor

Sage is always looking for feedback from their customers.  If there are enough people that request a feature it will eventually make it into the product.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Employee

This is why there is the "are you sure" prompt prior to deleting contacts and a message within that dialog box letting you know that it can't be undone.

Like other have mentioned, mainting an entire contact record post deletion would result in customer log files reaching untenable sizes. Hosted CM solutions have the advantage of not consuming space on customer machines, since ACT! isn't hosted, this size issue would impact users directly.

I do completely understand your frustration and agree that it'd be an excellent feature, but do bear in mind it's not as straightforward as say, undeleting files from the recycle bin because of all the data associated with a single record.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Platinum Elite Contributor

In ACT! 3-6 there wasn't an undelete as such. Symantec database repair found that when you deleted a contact the contact was only marked for deletion, the actual deletion took place when you did a compress and reindex. Database repair could go into the database tables and remove the marked for deletion flag. However the notes, history and activities were lost regardless so it wasn't a true undelete. Further you got everything back since the last compress and reindex so if that wasn't recent you would get a lot of trash.

Contrary to what you might think, having an undelete available would be very difficult and likely slow system performance. Because this has been a problem for years, if there was a simple way as you believe, it would have been done years ago.

Finally, and now I must be very blunt. Because this has been an ongoing problem, years ago a warning dialog was added that tells you exactly how many contacts you are deleting and you have to confirm the deletion. The warning also tells you that the delete can't be undone. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129