03-28-2014 01:44 PM
I have a user that I am setting up with a new Windows 7 computer, having previously had a Windows XP computer. ACT 2012 Pro (14.1.108) is installed on both computers and the server housing the Publisher database. However, I have run into a problem trying to sync their remote database from the XP machine, which apparently has not been synced since ACT 2012 was originally set up (don't ask me how that happened). The remote database name does not match that of the main database, for one (RAYCOSALES is the main, the remote is named RAYCOSALESRDMIKEU). Thus the following error occurs when trying to sync the database:
"Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: .RDB has already been unpacked and synced at least once. Please recreate remote database or restore a backed up copy. Contact you administrator for assistance."
The problem is that the user thinks there might be data he's updated on that remote database. I checked that name on our server, and the computer name was incorrect. I've updated the name on the server to match the computer name per similar threads I've researched. I've checked and repaired the database through ACT Diagnostics, and even detached the database and manually copied the ADF and ALF files to the server. Once there I attempted to import and merge the remote database ADF file with the publisher database. However, I keep getting an error saying that I have insufficient priveleges, and this has occurred even when logged in as the domain administrator on all concerned machines, as well as using the administrator account for ACT. My latest attempt has yielded a message that a connection to the database could not be established.
I have created a new sync set for this user based on the current publisher database, and will create a new remote database for them based on that. My question is how can I merge this user's old remote database into the existing database, save manually updating or adding records?
Thanks in advance.
03-31-2014 09:52 AM
If both the server and the workstation are on Act! Pro 2012 14.1.108, the most likely reason for the error is that there was a copy of the .RDB that was left on the machine after it had been used to initially unpack and restore the remote during its creation. It's possible that the user may have unpacked over the working remote, which breaks the synchronization and essentially sets the database back to the way it was at the time it was created. In this scenario, any data entered into the database that hadn't synchronized to the main prior to unpacking over the remote will be lost. You can try to verify by doing lookups based off of Create and Edit dates just to make sure.
As for merging with the new remote database, you should be able to do a database import into the remote the same way you would on the main.
03-31-2014 10:04 AM
Thanks for the information, Elise. I figured I'd have to check the database on the user's old computer eventually, and I even decided over the weekend I'd do it anyway just to be on the safe side.
As for the import of the database, I never thought about doing the import into the remote side from the main, just the other way around. Thanks!
At least I can get the verification part done with the old computer. The user of this computer is based in another state, so I couldn't finish the setup on the new computer before they left (though I'll try to do that once they return in a couple of weeks or so).
Thanks again for your help.