Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to start SQL Server (ACT7) - error code 3417

Unable to start SQL Server (ACT7) - error code 3417

[ Edited ]

Greg,

I had ACT for Financial Professionals for 3 years and never experienced this problem.  I upgraded to ACT 2012 in November, it worked for a month and now I am getting the SQL error.  I have a laptop and when I upgraded to 2012, I added ACT to a second laptop operated by my assistant.  I have tried to "Start" the database and I get a "Windows could not start the SQL Server (ACT7) on Local Computer.  For more information, review the System Event Log.  If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 3417" message.  I am having trouble after re-booting, when I first log on and when I've been on the laptop for hours.

Also my assistant is not having a problem opening hers.  We were told by customer support to use Hamachi to allow us to sync our databases.  We were able to sync once, but have not been able to since I have been having trouble.

Please help! 

[edit: updated subject to match issue]

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Unable to start SQL Server (ACT7) - error code 3417

Hello HWMg,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The '3417' error is often related to haveing files compressed on your hard drive.  Check the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server, is it or any of the files within it, BLUE.  If it is blue, it means the folder/file is compressed and will need to be decompressed.  

To decompress:

- right click on Microsoft SQL Server folder > select Properties

- click Advanced

- uncheck 'Compress contents to save disk space'

- click OK

- click Apply > select 'apply to all sub files and folders'

If the 'compress contents' option does not have a check beside it... instead of decompressing each file individually:

- place a check in the box

- click OK > then Apply > select only this file/folder option.

- when complete, perform the steps to decompress.

Once decompressed (file/folder names are black), attempt to start the service.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

My 'compress contents' box was not checked, so I followed your instructions to compress.  The Microsoft SQL Server folder then appeared in BLUE.  I then followed the instructions to decompress (appeared in BLACK) and attempted to start the server.  I got the same error message.

Platinum Super Contributor

There can be several additional causes for this, try the following:

- Disable anti-virus software and attempt to start service.

- Reboot computer in 'Selective Startup' and attempt to start service: KB Article 14173

These will help determine if there is a program blocking the service. 

If you are still unable to start the service, the installation of SQL would appear to be damaged.  The next step is to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server and then reinstall it using the following article: KB Article 26994

Greg Martin
Sage

The reason for the occurrence of SQL Server error code 3417 is of Mater Database file corruption. When SQL Server service gets started its database starts mounting but sometimes because of some issues Master Database didn’t get mounted and results in the error code 3417. In this situation user need to know the solution to recover database very safely and this requirements has been fulfilled by SQL database recovery tool. To know more: http://www.article.fixsqlserver.net/ms-sql-3417-error.html