Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to start Act! Pro V.21 without reboot of computer after using and closing down Act! previous day

Highlighted

Unable to start Act! Pro V.21 without reboot of computer after using and closing down Act! previous day

Having just recently installed Act! Pro V.21 on a computer using Windows 10 Pro which has been freshly installed after a Windows upgrade corrupted this computer. We upgraded from Act!  Pro V18 to V.21 and converted the data which all works fine.

However when  we close down Act! Pro at the end of the day, we now find we are unable to start and open Act! the next morning without having to do a computer reboot first.

Does anyone have suggestions and a solution to eliminate this frustrating problem.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Unable to start Act! Pro V.21 without reboot of computer after using and closing down Act! previous day

Just guessing really but, it may be that if act! opens and closes OK during the day, but the issue only happens when the machine has been left on overnight. Then the issue might be due to the machines power management settings turning off the network card when the PC is in sleep mode. You should be able to search the internet on how to stop the network card being turned off. Normally via Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections right mouse click on the connection and select properties and then select the Power Management Tab, un-tick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

But worth a try

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Unable to start Act! Pro V.21 without reboot of computer after using and closing down Act! previous day

Right click > Run as administrator

Highlighted

Hi Chris:

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I amended the power settings so no components go into sleep mode. I leave the computer on overnight so backups can be done both onsite and off premises across a network to NAS Drives and to the cloud, so don't think the power settings is causing the problem.

If I exit Act! at any time whether during the day or next day the same happens. I have to reboot the computer to get access again. I normally leave Act! open during the day for easy access and close it down at the end of the day, so it is not open during backups.

David

Highlighted

Hi Richee:

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I have tried that also, but no success.

David

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Monitor the task manager to see if it tries to start when you attempt to launch the application.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

What message, if any, do you receive when you try to start up Act?

Highlighted

Hi Richee:

Thanks for your message. I have opened up Task Manager before starting Act! up again which shows Act! (32bit) as a background process using 196.7 MB of memory and 0% of CPU.

When I go to start Act! a second line appears which also reads Act! (32bit) directly below the first line very temporarily and disappears again quickly when Act! does not start up.

I had read in another blog on another site that the start up line Act!.Outlook64.Service can cause problems if you use Outlook 32 bit software, recommending that you disable this Startup line which I also did but this has made no difference. Act! still refuses to start up again if you exit and attempt to start Act! again without rebooting the computer.

David

Highlighted

Hi Mark:

Thanks for your message.

No error message appears when I attempt to start up Act! again. It just seems to attempt to go through the motions of starting up but quickly stops and goes no further. No screen or error message appears.

See above when I monitored the Task Manager to see if any movement of activity when attempting to start up Act!

All is fine if I close everything down and reboot the computer. Act! will start up with no problems, but if I attempt to start up again after closing Act! down, it refuses to start up again with the computer reboot.

David

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Is there anythin in the event viewer? When you close act! is the Act! (32bit) still in the task manager if it is, end the task to see if that then allows it to open up again.